X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gt3 cup challenge

Sven,

Congrats on setting up the series. Just a couple of questions:

does the series allow for historic Porsches there are a few typ901 racers on here?

can one compete with the new Clubman Circuit license?

p.s Alex sorry to bring up a few dirty words

Hung Do.
    GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Originally posted by hmd View Post
    Sven,

Congrats on setting up the series. Just a couple of questions:

does the series allow for historic Porsches there are a few typ901 racers on here?

can one compete with the new Clubman Circuit license?

p.s Alex sorry to bring up a few dirty words

Hung Do.
    Thanks Hung. Its been a lot of work but well worth it.

The answer to your question is yes, anything (naturally aspirated) Porsche with a CAMS log book can run.

The name of the series comes as part of the deal we did with Porsche to make the series part of its internationally recognised motorsport calender but in reality its a revamp of the old Porsche Cup series which lost its way until recently.

Whilst there are a lot of more modern cars in the current field, our next project is to attract more cars to the various classes that run which very much includes pre 996 spec cars. We're now trying to find where these cars live so we can let the guys who run them know about the series.

We're aware of speed differentials and the fear of a large panel bill that some think comes with this sort of racing. At Mallala all drivers made a pact to race close but clean. It worked with the only damage being one guy inadvertantly backing his car into another one in parc ferme!

Stuart Elshaw the SA Porsche Club President is running with us at PI with his mean 1974 RSR rep and we're very keen to get cars from each decade since the 60's at least thnking about turning up for their local rounds.

You need a PC licence for most events but if you're coming to Bathurst with us next year, you need an NC for that event.

The idea is to get as many Porsches on a track as we can but more low key than some that are or may style themsleves at the upper end or semi professional section of national motor sport. Think one long club (day) weekend and you get the drift of the mood we're trying to set.

It'd be great if some of the Typ 901 guys could come out and have a look at the next round which is on on 9 + 10 August at PI. I'll have my E there. The entry list is looking great and at this stage we have at least 8 guys from Victoria (all PCV members) coming along.

If anyone is interested the web site is www.gt3cupchallenge.com.au

If anyone wants more info they can make contact with Jodi our Catagory Administrator or PM me or post and I'll get in contact.

Sorry if the above sounds like an ad. It isnt as we dont make a cracker running it. Just wanted a Porsche only place to go and race (and rave) with other like minded tragics ...

Alex, what are the dirty words?

Comment

Hey Sven, this sounds like a great opportunity for some of our race oriented members to consider.

perhaps we could organise a Club run down to PI for the next round (with a spot of swimming on the way ?) and experience what their is on offer.

members ? let me now if an impromptu run is in order here ?
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Sven, that is great to hear. When I saw that the series is called the GT3 challenge, it seemed that it was just for GT3 cup cars that are no longer able to race in the Carrera Cup. However having a series that enables all Porsches to run is a great idea. Not only does not show off the strength of the marque, but also gives guys like myself more opportunities to get out on the track. However given the GT3 lap times and the 130% rule, it may not be so fun running by yourself at the back of the field!!!

I am away on the 9th for BT's 60th in Sydney so I will not be around, but would seriously consider getting my car out there if we could get some more earlier 911's that could run together. I will be the first to put my hand up!

Well done and keen to see the progress.
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Sven,

This is great news for the more circuit orientated guys. I know I would love to get my ST rep out there. As with Alex, I would be more keen if there were others around the same speed.

Alex maybe the idea is we try and get together a group that will enter together to ensure there is enough early cars to make it worthwhile!

I am out till later this year due to work commitments but would love to be able to pitch my car against others of the era outside historics.

Sven well done in reviving a great concept that fell away after Porsche cup got too political. Sorry to see my old GT3 meet its demise last year!

Tim Pritchard

Comment

I am in for a historic group at one of next year Victorian Event

Comment

"Typ 901 Class"

Gents, anytime you want to saddle up and come play, you're welcome. I suspect the 130% rule wont be any trouble. At PI that would mean a time of 2.06.

If you're at all serious (and it seems you are), lets see what we could do to make it happen.

Anyone can PM me and I'll give details of mobile number.

I am having Jodi put up the eligibilty section of the Sporting and Tech Regulations on the web site. Its also in full colour on the CAMS web site.

I'd be really pleased if a few of you could come and see us at PI. We've also organised Jim Richards to come and speak at a dinner on the weekend and if anyone wants to come to that and stay the night with us at the PI Eco Resort (where we have organised a group discount and booking) let Jodi know and she can try and book some extra rooms.

All we can promise is beer, pizza and a fair bit of BS.

Tim, yes the old girl went the way a good race car should - with a massive bang. The MoTec data shows I was doing 170 when I hit the wall after being "assisted in" by a fellow GT competitor. Salvaged a bit of good stuff but my son will have unique show and tell when he's old enough to take the DVD to school ...

Comment

Pity I am not here, would have loved to come to PI. Lets get some more committment from the other 901'ers and alike to compete and that would be more fun!

Incidently Sven, could I run the 356 with the 911 motor? It is all Porsche!!!
                Alex Webster

Comment

I am in for a round at PI in 2009 even if I have to buy a bigger rear vision mirror to watch the lapping cup cars of Sven and his mates

Comment

Hung, we can gang up on them and be four wide down the main straight! Only kidding!!! I am going to add a rear spoiler to my car so they don't go straight over the top of me!!!
                    Alex Webster

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
                      Pity I am not here, would have loved to come to PI. Lets get some more committment from the other 901'ers and alike to compete and that would be more fun!

Incidently Sven, could I run the 356 with the 911 motor? It is all Porsche!!!
                      Alex, you still got that nail?!

Not sure its a goer but if it is and you are actually game to enter the old girl, I'll pass the hat around for the entry fee!

Comment

mate it is still with us. 2.8 litres and 240hp in a 356, and many a car that it has passed on a track!! Would be fun to put her in a actual race and see what it can do amongst bigger later model competition!

I would have to drive the ring off the old girl but hey, that is what it is for!!!
                        Alex Webster

Comment

My trip to Sydney is now OFF, so is anyone keen to head down to the track sometime on Saturday or Sunday?
                          Alex Webster

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
                            My trip to Sydney is now OFF, so is anyone keen to head down to the track sometime on Saturday or Sunday?
                            You have no excuse then ....

Be aware that qualifying for the GT3 Cup Challenge is at 1.30 and thats the last thing for the day.

Sunday is busy with 3 races.

You can get the full schedule on www.thenationals.com.au

If you're heading down, we're housed in garages 12-24 and there will be an area for all Porsche tragics to hang out and be out of the weather.

We've got 24 entries at the moment ranging from 944's, 74 RSR, GT3, GT3 Cup and GT3 RS.

My E is still undergoing renovations so will not be there.

And yes, there will be photos soon. I'm rather happy with the way she looks.

Those that do make it, make sure you come and say hello.

Sven
                            Last edited by 901Porker; 05-08-08, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Which day are people thinking about going down ? I can maybe make the Sat arvo or perhaps Sun morning. All depends on weather as I was planning on running the 911R.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X