Distributor rebuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor rebuilds

Any recommendations on a reputable shop for dizzy testing and rebuild in OZ?
    Duncan Miller
    1969 911S

sort of ditto for me.

I need to replace the original marelli that is in my car at the moment, with a bosch unit. from talking to Phil Hearn, a used bosch T distributor can be rebuilt and mapped to suit my 2.8... Phil never mentioned where to get the rebuild done - only to come up with the unit and he will sort it out.

so, Duncan - maybe contact Phil?

also, if anyone has a 911T bosch dizzy lying around...?
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Duncan

Try Performance Ignition Services in Melbourne. They did a good job on rebuilding mine.
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Duncan, ditto on Performance Ignitions (Bayswater)... I think they used to be known as Scorcher Ignitions. They rebuilt and re-graphed mine several years ago, and I've had no issues at all.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks guys, I shipped it down to them yesterday, will post on the outcome when I get it back and installed.
          Duncan Miller
          1969 911S

Comment

Distributor is back in the car.

Quality work, reasonable price, fast turn around. For anyone else considering a dizzy rebuild I highly recommend Performance Ignition Services.
            Duncan Miller
            1969 911S

Comment

That WAS quick !
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Duncan

geez... putting me to shame...

Cheers

Rich
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

hey duncan

care to disclose what the cost of the rebuild was? I need to get off my backside and find a base distributor to get rebuilt and recurved to suit my engine...

not sure how much the used unit will cost, but would be good to know how much to get it fixed and working and in the car is.

cheers

rich
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich, total cost was $350.00 which included a new shaft, points, rotor, cap and freight to Darwin.
                    Duncan Miller
                    1969 911S

Comment

thanks duncan.
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Are you guys aware that you can take a basic 2.7 "late" distributor and machine the whole thing down to early specs and have it curved to you engine's spec?

My 2.0 had a Marelli originally and the cost to replace with the correct Bosch was hideous! John Walker (well known Seattle wrench) stepped me through it over the email $250 for the base s/h dizzy (Swan Porsche), $50 machining, $200 rebuild and recurve (to T spec) at Performance Ignitions... $500 was substantially cheaper than the correct Bosch!

I put a thread on Pelican some years ago - I can revisit the details if anyone wants?
                        Last edited by Fishcop; 04-08-08, 05:10 PM.
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

John, would love to see the details if you can dredge them up!!
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Here's the original 2002 write up... clearly my dollar memory is useless

Hopefully another side by side photo will up load and you can see what gets done. Basically the later Bosch is turned on a lathe to match the profile of the Marelli. For the earlier engine case, the adjustment lug/casting is machined off and a groove is added to use the Marelli clamp. The O ring groove will end up in a slightly different position, but it doesn't matter. Performance Ignitions remove the vacuum retard and replace it with a neat blanking plate as part of the rebuild cost.

Does that make sense? I also added a Crane XR700 with optical ignition to top it all off.
                            Attached Files
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks John!!I really should be trying to get some work done and then going home to eat dinner with claire... but dizzy rebuilds are a welcome distraction from trying to work out FY09 plans in this economy!

so, assuming no inflation, and keeping a normal rotor/coil set-up, i could be done for $350-ish?? so maybe $400 these days?

is the new dizzy set up 'plug and play'? or are their timing worries to consider? don't want to be getting ignition at the wrong time!!
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X