TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Australian Manufactured / Delivered long bonnet 911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Australian Manufactured / Delivered long bonnet 911?

I wonder if it has been previously mentioned what was the last Australian Manufactured / Delivered long bonnet 1973 911? My 1973 911 chassis 9113102942 was manufactured in May 1973 and collected on the 2nd of August directly from the factory as a tourist delivery, it would be interesting to see what other 1973 delivery details Register members have? Hugh may already have the answer to these questions.

Hi Geoff

That is an interesting and somewhat hard question to answer as MOST of the information about production dates from Porsche at that time only recorded the month, rather than the day of final production. the day the car was sol is not helpful as a car could have (and in some cases did) sit around for many months before being sold

The easiest way is to look at the last couple of vin numbers in each type - the last couple because they were not produced in strict numerical order. Also there was not a consistent number of cars produced by type during the year. i think in 1973 there was a big run of CIS / USA T's in the last month or so. With the T's there was also the question of MFI cars v carb cars which had a different vin number series so it is impossible to match one v the other to determine data order. Then there are the targas that also all have their own vin sequences

If you start with T coupe yours is the highest vin number 5 speed "91131" car but there was a T sporto coupe with a higher vin - 9113103104 which "probably" was produced after yours. I think that car was produced in June from the LHD cars with similar vins around it.
    the highest number "91131" targa that came here was 9113111929 but I dont know when it was completed - LHD ones around it suggest that it may be a May 73 car like yours.
    Then we have the "91135" carb cars - there were only a few of those and I dont think there were any late ones

Moving to the E coupe's my car 1306 (in the last 60 built) was completed at the start of July (I understand). There were 2 E Targas 1011 and 1105 that were probably done in early July as well as I have a record of a LHD one, 1018, being a July car.

On the S's the highest number coupe was 1281 which was probably a June car as there was a UK car 1311 that was a June car. On the S targas the highest number was 0833 but I cant tell exactly how late it was. The highest number i have a record for is 0909 and that was a july car. So I would guess that the last one here was a late may or a june car

I would welcome any additions/ clarifications etc to this so that i can put it in the database for the next time the question is asked

I should have added there were 2 June production RS's delivered here as well
    Last edited by HughH; 03-05-21, 01:18 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

the other way to look at this is go by "production number". the production number does not give you the exact order in which the cars were completed BUT it does give you (2) consecutive series across all engine types of the order in which car orders were sent to the production line - one for coupes and the other for targas.

I dont have most of the production numbers for Australian cars BUT mine is 8915 of the 9447 coup[es of all types built in 1973MY - ie just over 530 from the last (and by vin 60 from the last E Coupe) So, by simple maths there were about 480 other types of 911 coupes (and 60 E's) built after mine - I believe MOST of these were T's going to the USA
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh amazing information and detail thank you

Comment

I had a friend in NSW with an RS - which had a very late chassis number - he didn't collect the car until early to mid 1974.

I remember him telling me tossing up between the new 1974 MY impact bumper car , and an old RS in the old Hamilton showroom in South Yarra.

He opted for the latter - I'll find chassis number now.

JR

Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
          X