Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuch Replica market research

Hi guys,

A couple of you may be aware already that I own a business in Melbourne that imports large quantities of aftermarket wheels that are manufactured in USA and China. We sell these nationally to all the wheel/tyre chains like Bob Jane. As a Porsche enthusiast of many years I have been frustrated at the lack of available quality Fuch replica's.

Apologies this initial thread is so long, but I thought if I did not put all the detail RE the wheels in up front, we would have a thousand questions!

Some 12 months ago I commissioned my Chinese factory to make 15" copies in the following width's: 4.5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12". We have also produced 16" in 7,8,9,10,11 & 12". All are made with the identical off sets the factory made. Likewise, we have made 17" diameter for late model offsets.

All wheels are made using the latest low pressure and temp cast allow technique that results in very similar weight and strength properties to forged. All have passed the relevant global safety standards and are of excellent quality. I have some on one of my cars now.

I plan to have some popular size wheels available in quantities in approx 8 weeks. Other sizes to follow. They will be priced very aggressively. Whilst this is yet to be determined, I am shooting to retail a common wheel like 15X7" at around $300.

QUESTION: The final approved samples have mostly been finished with the totally black center and correct anodised rim, however, we have also produced a version with the polished spokes (see pics attached). Whilst I rate my self as an enthusiast, I am seeking your collective opinion on what finishes we should produce. Remembering we have to stock and make these in large run quantities, so I don't want lot's of different versions!

Your thoughts would be appreciated on finishes and in particular the sizes "901" people prefer/are most popular.

Regards, Simon

Attached Files

Simon, they look very nice.

Personally I prefer the frosted "RSR" look and the original polished petal look, as I think most of us 901 types would! But I understand that the blacked in centre is more common across the 911 range.

Can you produce an anodised but unpainted rim so that people can pull out their trusty can of Wurth spray paint and finish them as they please?

I know a few of the guys are after period correct looking fuchs. Some of the guys here are truly hard on their cars - Are they good enough to trust in racing conditions? I know Ryan (Obrut) is chasing some 15x9 for track work.

Ooh, one more question... can you do a nice 7R version? That will sell!
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Simon,

I would think the main market for Fuchs repros would be for early cars in original sizes and finishes. However, given availability (or lack thereof) of tyres in 15" (and I guess shortly of 16") then maybe some owners want to go for larger dia wheels just to have good perfromance tyre options.

I would say that given these are Fuchs replicas, then the oriiginal type finishes would be desirable - polished spokes on 15" wheels for sure and maybe all black for 16" and above ??

Maybe you could consider holding stock of plain wheels with polished spokes and have tehm painted (or dipped) depending on customers requirements ? or is this just too hard ??

I can appreciate the probelms involved in holding stock of so many different size, width and finish combos. I used to be in the footwear business.

What dia is the wheel in the top pic ??
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Simon,

I volunteer to track test a set of 15x7 and 15x8

Hung.
        GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Ditto on the RSR look
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

simon

i would vote for the frosted look - on the basis that its much easier to spray the centre of such a wheel black or body/highlight colour than to add the petal look to a full black centred wheel.

let me know when the 15x9's will be available (i'm looking into bringing some 9" minilites in from the UK at present)

Comment

Simon, great to know that you have these plans. I currently have custom made Simmons wheels that are not replacable if damaged, being 15x7 and 15x8. 15 inch tyres are becoming harder/more expensive due to low sales volumes and not so available for higher speed/grip ratings,so maybe a study of the performance tyres available for our cars would be a starting point.eg. bridgestone, pirelli,michelin. With a 1970T i'd probably go for 16" wheels next time. Regards. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OBRUT View Post
                simon

...let me know when the 15x9's will be available (i'm looking into bringing some 9" minilites in from the UK at present)
                Ryan, can you strech 225s over these, or are you looking at something wider such as Michilin TBs?

Comment

john - 225's at this stage

paul - i recall seeing somewhere that someone bought the rights to keep making 15" and 16" simmons wheels. can't remember their name though.

Comment

I'm sure the wider widths in 16 and 17" will be desirable for all the widebody guys. I imported a small quantity of the 17" Rota Fuchs replica's and they sold out very quickly, all in RSR finish. A couple of customers had them refinished to a black centre with a can of spray paint!

One question though - has the wheel been redesigned and re-inforced where neccessary to allow for the cast construction vs. forged original wheel?

Craig
                    ------------------
                    69 911E Stock
                    69 911E RS Replica 3.0L 915 Webers
                    82 911SC IROC 3.6L
                    93 968CS Daily Driver
                    www.911parts.com.au

Comment

we have 225's on the 9 inch 15 inch rims on the yellow RSR and they are a great fit.
                      Alex Webster
                      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

give you a hundred for the pair?

Comment

Simon

I would think there would be more support for a finish like your first pic rather than the black centre. Buyers could easily paint the petals if they like but removing paint and masking the petals is a major hassle. It would be great if you could offer a satin or polished petal option.
                          Could all petals be polished and then coated either clear or if reqd given a satin finish?
                          Are the wheels anodised or do you use some other form of coating?

Cheers
                          Jeff
                          Jeff Eelkema
                          TYP 901 #132
                          S-Reg #1431
                          69E (project)
                          various bevel Ducatis
                          60s Vespa

Comment

Chaps,

Sorry to take so long to get back to a few of your questions as a result of being away...

John F:
                            I have discussed the partially finished wheel with the factory and I think I can bring in a finished except not painted wheel and do that locally. This would also help me with stock control not having to keep both fully painted and leaf pattern. RE strength, I have every confidence they will be easily strong enough for track use as they have passed several international standards. I myself have used locally made Fuch copies that are well known to many which of course have no standards endorsement! The 7R I am not so sure we will make at this stage, but will keep on my notes.

Phil L:
                            Thanks for the valuable feedback and info. The wheel in the top pic from memory is 15"

Cam and Ryan:
                            Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you all updated on progress of finished stock in Aus. At this stage I would conservatively say about 2-3 months.

John S:
                            Thanks for the note. I have had a number of people comment about availability or otherwise of 15" rubber. As my company is already a race tyre importer and does some degree of road Pirelli tyre work, I think I will also stock 15" tyres for those buying Fuch replica's that want tyres as well.

Craig:
                            We also have 17" Fuch with late model offset in final testing. I plan to also bring these in. RE the design: Whilst we copied the original Fuch design, yes, our wheel was designed from scratch on the latest Cad Cam gear to facilitate the low pressure and temp cast process.

Regs, Simon

Comment

simmons wheel repairs

Originally posted by OBRUT View Post
                              john - 225's at this stage

paul - i recall seeing somewhere that someone bought the rights to keep making 15" and 16" simmons wheels. can't remember their name though.
                              Thanks Ryan, not sure if they manufacture them but Retro Wheels in Mortdale (Sydney) and Depulu Wheels in Queensland can repair and refurbish early simmons wheels. I just Googled "simmons wheel repairs". I also found out that each wheel is serial numbered and its manufacture sizes(rims etc) are recorded, so that exact replacements can be made. So thanks for the prompt, I now know a lot more if I need a repair in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X