Pre 1974 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre 1974 911

I have a friend looking for an early 911. HE has found 3 that interest him .
    Viper green e at Classic throttle Shop (not original engine ) 85k
    Orange 1968 911T matching #s 62k
    White 73 s with an E engine 85k
    He wants a car he can use ( not concourse) but at the same time something that appreciates . Does anyone know the cars or can anyone shed some light
    or does anyone have a car for sale

Larry

larry

can you shed some more light on what he would like to use the car for?

also, has he driven these cars yet? the 68T will be a very different drive to the 73E/S.

Comment

Ryan
      He wants to be able to use the car for a sunday drive or a club run i am starting to think a LWB would be better the trouble is he wants Aussie delivered matching numbers . There is a 73E out there with all of the above but it is 139k .He hasnt driven any of the cars he was flagging at Lakeside on Saturday and got all excited watching the early cars go around there were 2 1973 2.7 rs plus lots of other early cars and i was in my 1972 rsr replica and it kind of made his decision for him and now he has to have one . What do you think about the s with the E engine or the E without the original engine

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry

Jeff Elkeema and I drove my blue car out to watch on Saturday (left too late to get into the track) but it was great to see old 911 circulating around the old track.

Must the car be Aussie delivered? The green 69T Matt Hart for sale on the board has seems like it could be the shiz and it is at least factory RHD and a matching numbered car (English delivery).
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Larry, John is right - Matt's car is worth serious consideration.

Just in case you missed previous thread showing photos here it is again
          The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.

and also some earlier photos at Phillip Island in March 2007 - and don't forget it is in the latest "Cherry Ripe" ad on telly
          Attached Files
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by larry_911 View Post
            Ryan
            He wants to be able to use the car for a sunday drive or a club run. i am starting to think a LWB would be better. The trouble is he wants Aussie delivered matching numbers .

Larry
            Larry, your friend needs to realise that even if he finds the elusive Aussie delivered matching numbers car, it may be a bucket of rust with major problems requiring serious $$$$$ to be spent.

He should be looking for the best available, rust free and mechanically sound car he can find.

There are a number of members on this board who can tell you horror stories about the cost of repairing these cars (me included) where they were perhaps swayed by some other emotion when buying a car than getting a solid and sound base from which to launch into typ 901 ownership.

Your friend probably needs to calm down a little and start the "process". This usualy starts with buying a few quality books on the subject like one of Peter Morgans books and then join some Forums (like this) and spend endless hours educating yourself via the Net.

Read, read and then read some more about everyones experiences. Look at thousands of pics, troll eBay, check out the excellent threads on the Early 911S forum posted by one guy who claims he lives on ebay and who lists every car that has been sold in the past years catalogued by model designation (T, E, R, etc) Admittedly these are all USA ebay listing but it gives you a good idea of the state of the market and whats actually around.

I am sure CTS would love to invite your friend into their showroom and extract some dollars from him with the variety of cars that are on offer and a salesman will spot such an eager buyer in a nanosecond.

If your friend hasnt driven any of these early cars, thats the first place to start. Thats where clubs like this can really help, although you guys are up in Brisbane, right ?

I have always encouraged new members and prospective buyers to join one of our runs and ride in lots of cars. Sometimes you get lucky enough to drive one.

I seem to remember one new member who was researching cars who got to drive a real '73 RS for about 2 hours on the way home from one of our runs. He commented the $75 membership for the club was worth it for this experience alone . (thanks Clyde).

By all means encourage him but dont let him rush in too fast, unless of course, he was the lucky guy who shared in that $50M Lotto win a little while back. I'd be buying that car that Cam Arnott posted about in the UK.

But hang on a minute, its a UK car and doesnt have a matching number engine.......
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

yes, thanks clyde (again!).

matt's car is matching numbers and original RHD... and they all came out of the same factory.

If I was looking I would be on matt's doorstep first.
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

> He wants to be able to use the car for a sunday drive or a club run

i don't think the handling difference between a SWB and a LWB will make a big difference with this type of proposed use. however, the difference in torque will. a 2.4E is a much easier car to drive in the real world (more torque, needs less revs, has a 'regular/easier' shift pattern. the purists will extol the virtues of the 'dog leg 901 but this is my view based on having/had cars with 901/915 and G50 gearboxes.

> Aussie delivered matching numbers.

nice idea but difficult to achieve in practice.

> There is a 73E out there with all of the above but it is 139k.

my 2c, that's too much $$'s

> He hasnt driven any of the cars

i think that should be his first priority. i'm always suprised by the people who try to way up different cars without driving them. some people do not like driving rear engined cars. some would find a stock 2.0T agonisingly slow.

Comment

Thankyou everyone for the kind words re my car.
                  The latest update regarding its sale is.....The 901 that I wanted to buy is no longer up for sale. The owner is setting up a business overseas and is not actually moving permanently for some time.
                  Now I am in a bit of a spot, I really dont want to sell my car!!! Do I remove it from the market, or keep it advertised, and get something like the 3.6 T currently for sale. Other than that I know I wont find a better 901 than mine for similar money. I think I will save for that special engine afterall.

Comment

keep it!
                    MichaelJapp
                    71E
                    Typ901 #065
                    EarlyS #798

Comment

there is value in knowing what you have and not getting suprises - i would build/buy a new motor.

Comment

matt

keep it, shelve the 2.0L (matching number cars are too valuable to destroy now) and find something special to run in it.
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

i'd avoid special and aim for dumb and strong - eg 3 litre SC motor on carbs.

Comment

ryan

I personally would probably follow your advice - nothing worse than driving along waiting for your high-strung engine to inevitably blow up.

hey, why stop at 3.0 though? why not head for 3.6 or 3.8 on carbs and make life really interesting!!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Keep it fellow Irish Green owner...

I see you gazumped me with the Cherry Ripe advert... they were keen on my car for a while... but I'm pleased they still used an early 911.

As far as the motor goes - I'm with Ryan... just don't kill you 901 transmission.
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                              1961 356B #114700
                              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                              X