911T Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

911T Owners

As a new member of the Register, I have noticed that there are quite a few 1970 911Ts out there, and modified derivatives thereof. And there are a few issues that have been bugging me about my T for some time.
    1. Fixed seat belts - ok, but not the most convenient or tidy arrangement, so is it easy to fit inertia reel belts, or should I go the whole hog and fit full harnesses,( seeing I have seats that will take 4-5 point harnesses). Or have you noticed that some aircraft have inertia reel full harnesses and where could you get them. I think the last option would be the best for a road car, if they are obtainable.

2. The T has no sway bars. Has anyone fitted the 911S bars, front and rear, and is it worth the expense? Where can you purchase them for a reasonable price or does anyone have a complete set lying around?

3. If you look closely at my avatar, you'll see I have a later impact rear bumper and carrera 3.2 spoiler, all genuine factory too. But they are not the right ones are they. Is there an easily accessible supplier of early model body parts that I could get the correct bumper(or replica) and fittings and a ducktail engine lid ( would have to be a replica wouldn't it).

HI, it would help if you can post some more detailed pics of your car so we can see how far "wrong" it is.

Replacing the rear bumper back to teh early 901 look isnt as easy as it sounds, although ti depends on how your car was modified to the G series look.

An original rear ducktail (like off a real RS) might cost you more than the value of your car (just kidding, well nearly the cost of yr car) so you could go for a std rear engine lid in steel or a fibreglass ducktail

What are the front guards like ? and do you still have the original long hood or has that been changed to G series too ??

Seat belt are easy to fix. There are plenty available, try Bursons Auto Parts. Last time I looked they were around $100 per side for inertia reel. I seriously doubt you will find a harness with inertia reel.

Looking forward to seeing more pics so we can assist with constructive comments and head you in the right direction.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi PCM

For sways you could try some of the Board sponsors above or Performance 9 in Vic. Depends on what you use the car for as to whether they are worth it....

Just remember its a slippery slope!!! Ask me how I know

Actually ask nearly everyone on this board!
      Last edited by CamBiscuit; 03-08-08, 09:38 PM.
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

1. belts - i went with harnesses. i like feeling strapped in (especially out the back of thredbo). pain if you are going down the shops as it takes an extra 2.5 seconds to do them up.

2. sway bars are on my list of things to do... but a bit down the list. would think things like tyres and set up should be first.

3. i want to replace my ducktail with an original engine lid... and of course it isn't original. Jason would be a good one to talk to on this.
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

BTW, i was being sarcasting about the harnesses being a pain. i never just drive down the shops... :-)
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I like to drive down to the shops. The shops in Jindabyne, from Thredbo.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Amd about those sway bars, on teh rear, you are going to need to have mounting points welded onto the rear trailing arms which needs to be done correctly or the geometry is wrong. One needs a jig for this.. Also front mount points will neede to be welded on to A arms as well. Its not a diffucult job but needs to be done by someone who knows.

Ebay.com (US site) has plenty of these front and rear sway bars every now and then so thats a source, plus local parts suppliers as mentioned above.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Thanks to you all for the responses. Here is more info.
                Phil - still old tech optical with my photos, but will endeavour to get some good digital ones shortly.Yes, I've been told a change to the rear might not be worth the expense. The rear bar was added before my purchase and possibly to match up with the wider RS arches and actually looks good to the uninitiated.PORSCHE reflector also added. If I took the rubber bumpers off , kept the later spoiler and added a number plate light it would look a little IROC style from the rear. Plug or cover over a hole or two and it would be a quick and smooth fix. Think that sounds better/easier. Engine lid, front guards and long hood are thankfully unmolested. Front bumper is 911S with bumpers. Thanks for info on belts, do the "canisters" for the belts just bolt into the lower mounting point on the B pillar? Adding sway bars to a non track car, that handles quite well could be overkill.
                Cam - yes, slippery slopes ( just ask my Cooper S replica Mini) but no harm in dreaming.
                Rich - harnesses would look the part wouldn't they. we don't use the rear seats. Will see how I feel after the 6 hour regularity weekend.Sway bars might be a bit complicated from what Phil says, for a road car anyway. My set up for suspension is good with Konis and it handles well for the road. Just can't believe Porsche would penny pinch and leave them off.

Comment

Hey PCM

Lakes Entrance eh? Used to be an old haunt for me (grew up in Sale)...

The least expensive route will be to purchase replica fibreglass pieces to replace the G series bumpers you have (put 'em on eBay to recover cost) - But you will find original stuff to use if you're in no hurry. Glass ducktails pop up every now and then for around $400 - an original flat steel boot-lid goes for anywhere between $100 to $500.

Any of the decent auto shops sell "Klippan" retractable seat belts (legal and ADR approved). You may need to add an anchor point depending on what seats and rails you have. I run retractable 3-points AND harnesses

Swaybars will bolt straight in at the front (referred to as "through body" sway bars) Rears will need two receiver consoles welded in (thought there is a model made by Weltmeister that bolts to the torsion tube so you don't have to weld).

Good luck mate!
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Oops, typing at the same time

In my opinion (given that the front is unmolested) it is definitely worth the effort and expense to revert your car to how it should look. And I think the value of the car will appreciate too. Just use a glass RS one piece rear bumper.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I’ve both a 4 point harness and retractable inertia seatbelts, which I find is great. Did a track day at Winton last Monday and the harness in conjunction with a set of Phil’s sports seats was sensational. The novelty of a harness wears off pretty quickly and I find I drive ¾ of the time with the standard inertia belt which is much more comfortable. Do a search within the forums for harness bars and you’ll find plenty on information.
                      I’ve front and rear sway bars on my ‘T’, standard torsion bars, re-valved shocks, turbo tie rods and track tyres. I found the rear swaybar was a great improvement to handling and well worth the cost, but as suggested make sure it’s done properly.
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Peter Williams did the rear sways in KYJ maybe he will chime in
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Welcome PCM911T.
                          I would not hesitate returning the rear to a small bumper-look using an RS style fiberglass piece, then adding a duck-tail, in doing so, removing the black trim on the rocker and the black protector (what ever its called) before the rear guards. Returning all the black trim to chrome/silver will do wonders.
                          Like Paul, I have both harness, and inertia belt. I NEVER use the harness on the street, it really is a pain. I also use the harness with the sports seats, and the difference on the track is awesome.
                          I wouldnt worry about sway-bars unless you are doing track work. Get the bodywork sorted first
                          Your T will look great!

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                            Peter Williams did the rear sways in KYJ maybe he will chime in
                            What was your mother thinking, naming you PCM911T - she must have been a Star Wars fan.

The ideal retractable seat belt is the Klippan K6245, available at Bursons at $150 for the pair.

Had 16mm sway bars fitted to KYJ in January 2006. Front are "through the body" type. As advised by others, fitting the rear bar is not for the novice as a jig is required to weld the ball pins to the rear trailing arms as per factory specs. When fitted the road handling (both cornering and in straight line) improved dramatically - highly recommended option - especially when we go for a swim at Alex's place on the odd occassion.
                            Had them done by George Cairns at total cost of $2048 incl GST.

At the time had a quote to fit Koni Classic Type front and rear - $514 front and $600 rear, Maybe some time in future.
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901
                            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

PCM, you'll get used to Peter's sense of humour.

He's not all that bad though. He drives a T also.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                              X