New Fuchs 6 x 15 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fuchs 6 x 15 wheels

4A44C6EB-5024-4577-9DE8-114DC52315DE.jpg Otto Fuchs has made new 15 x 6 and 15 x 7 wheels for our cars. I received 4 this morning.

Making process is identical to the old, polished forged alloy wheels then anodised and paint dipped(runs on the rear like originals). No paint in stud holes either.

differences…

Anodising is consistent across the whole wheel and not quite as bright on the spokes and outer lip like the originals. No rough parts like on the side walls of the spokes and parts of the outer rim like on the originals.

Centre cap is the 74-89 version at 71mm, Porsche only supply these now with the 2 holes for removal, have to go to Sierra Madre for the non hole versions which I have done.

Cost is reasonable when you consider the cost of buying a 50 year old wheel (around $1500- $1800) that may or may not be round and may or may not be cracked.

Add to that the cost of restoration here or overseas at $700 a wheel + plus 2 way shipping for our cheapest option, and up to $1200 per wheel for a perfect back to original job then $1870 a wheel plus another $150 for a new centre cap is very reasonable in my opinion for a very important part of the car.

No they won’t be correctly date stamped but even with their changes from original they look fantastic and they get a 9.5/10 from me for any non concourse early 911.

D38AC8D4-8939-4549-A072-5EB610159664.jpg

Last edited by Terminator; 14-04-23, 01:48 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Thanks Clyde, appreciate your reviews
    Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Thanks Clyde. Looks good. Do you mind if I ask where you got them from?
      Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Originally posted by 72_sporto View Post
        Thanks Clyde. Looks good. Do you mind if I ask where you got them from?
        Porsche Melbourne they are part of the Porsche Classic programme
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

Wheels look great Clyde. It amazes me what is available from Porsche Classic now, the catalogue is huge. You can even get engine cases now which I never thought I would see.
          Full disclosure, I work for Porsche, but still amazes me what they manage to bring out for what is relatively small production numbers.
          Alex Webster
          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Agreed Alex.

Porsche CLassic are really doing a good job……

crank cases, new targa tops ( reputedly quite expensive, but as a coupe owner I’ve not priced them, I’ve just heard). We are very lucky and well looked after. We could be owning old Fiats or Lancias and having very little support comparatively.

I remember seeing these new fuchs wheels about 10 years ago in Sydney and thinking what a great job they’d done. It’s great that Clyde who has restored many sets has realised this too.

Justin
            Last edited by Terminator; 16-04-23, 04:24 PM.
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Mine are week 32/21 didn't know they were available 10 years ago and think they only recently appeared on Porsche Classic
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Old v new comparasin anodising spot on, the major difference that I had not noticed was the distinctive edge where rough transitioned to smooth on originals is gone, (pic 3 new and pic 4 original) a smoother more rounded transition now.

2023-04-16 15.27.39.jpg 2023-04-16 15.28.44.jpg 2023-04-16 15.27.49.jpg 2023-04-16 15.27.59.jpg 2023-04-16 15.28.04.jpg 2023-04-16 15.28.30.jpg
                Last edited by Terminator; 16-04-23, 04:25 PM.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

In mid to late '80s i bought a set New Fuchs 7 x 15" (similar to above) from Scuderia Veloce, Lindfield. These were a cancelled order and i was offered these at a discounted $750 a pair (they were $750 each new then). these i bought and still have. also you could also get an Aussie delivered '73 911e for mid to low $20's. THE GOOD OLD DAYS .'73 911s where at least 2 - 2.5 that figure. if you could get your hands on one, and there was virtually no interest in '73 911T. in my opinion considering the value of these cars today, the new fuchs prices would be considered a no brainer. i actually i didn't know that they had stopped making these until now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Peter Kaufmann
                  '73 911e
                  '73 911T
                  '03 Subaru WRX
                  Last edited by Kaufmanp; 16-04-23, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Clyde, thanks for that update: just to confirm, they only do 6 and 7s at this point in time. right?
                    1973 911T Coupe
                    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
                      Hi Clyde, thanks for that update: just to confirm, they only do 6 and 7s at this point in time. right?
                      There are more wheels but only those in 15's are listed on Porsche Classic Patrick
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                        Mine are week 32/21 didn't know they were available 10 years ago and think they only recently appeared on Porsche Classic
                        I had a good contact at Porsche Classic in Zuffenhausen that I used to regularly meet up with at TechnoClassica and sometimes when visiting the factory. Hi name was Harald Becker who has since retired but one of his jobs was searching old suppliers tooling to see what was still around and might be put back to work making long forgotten parts. Quite a few years ago (must be 7 or 8) Harald told me he was visiting Fuchs and they unearthed the tooling for these forged wheels and he was investigating having them made again. I do remember subsequently seeing the 6 x 15 forged wheel at Technoclassica on the Porsche Classic section of the factory display at something like 900 Euros per wheel. So I think these have been around a little while and perhaps they also dusted off some other forging tools.
                        I am sure it required a significant order form Porsche to "get the presses rolling again" but there are penty more examples of parts being remade again, by the original manufacturers given the value of early cars rising and demand increasing to justify production runs.

The last time I was at Zuffenhaused and asked after Harald, I was told he retired by his replacement - Thomas Linz (think thats right ?) who also worked in the Classic division.

Here are some pics from the 2016 show on the Porsche Classic stand with 2 TYP901 members, Jason and Marcus attending for thier first Technoclassica show.

Will try to find some dated pics of the Fuchs wheels to see when they got re-offered for sale.
                        IMG_7896.jpg IMG_7894.jpg
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Essen is on currently or just finished I think and for goodness sake when will they do a RHD dash there must surely be enough demand in the UK, Aust Japan, Hong Kong, Sth Africa to warrant a production run.
                          Last edited by Terminator; 17-04-23, 08:39 PM.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

I guess they have to find the tooling and the OE manufacturer.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                            Early 911-S Registry # 690
                            R-Gruppe # 367
                            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Clyde just to clarify are these done in Deep Six or Flat Six fashion? They look like Deeps but the Porsche Classic book list them as being for '69-73 which doesn't really help......
                              Cam Arnott
                              Looking for engine #6208151
                              1970 911E (Sold)
                              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                              2 x Split Screen Kombis
                              TYP 901 Register # 78
                              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                              X