Trying to make it look like factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make it look like factory

After some guidance from Carl Jones I tackled the task of re applying the underbody wax as sprayed by the factory.

Valvoline make a product in a spray can that does the job nicely except if you get to use half a can before it all clogs up you are doing well.

Still a way to go but happy with results this far.

4 weeks to dry properly I am advised.

Last 2 pics show my untouched 72 which I be am using as the template.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Terminator; 11-06-23, 12:31 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Can you please describe what's going on here? The Valvoline product looks and acts like wax and is a darker colour? Only applied around some edges?

Comment

Clyde. just to be 100% clear - this product is the final application, after all other paint applications, to replicate the factory finish cosmoline type wax protector?

EDIT: I just read the instructions for tectyl - that would be yes - final!
      Last edited by SportoEvans; 12-06-23, 10:45 AM.
      Mark Evans
      1966 912 5 gauge
      1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Originally posted by generalsmirnov View Post
        Can you please describe what's going on here? The Valvoline product looks and acts like wax and is a darker colour? Only applied around some edges?
        It is a wax.

It was applied to all the underneath and guards on most 911's still all over modern BMW's too. Its rust preventative but it wears off after time however my untouched 72 showed me what it should look like. Yes it is a dark brown colour depending on how much you apply.

I have not finished yet which may be why it appears around the edges more curently.
        Last edited by Terminator; 12-06-23, 11:29 AM.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

A bit over a week since I applied this product it has dried and does not seem a complete coating like it did when wet so will continue when I can find a shop with some more cans.

2023-06-12 13.37.54.jpg
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Working...
          X