X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viper Green 72 T - Engine Swap

G’Day Experts

Hope you are all doing well.

I would be grateful for your thoughts on an engine swap query….

I have a viper green 72T. I bought it several years ago with a non-original 2.7L from a 76. The engine and gearbox needed a rebuild, so I have replaced them with a rebuilt 915 (alloy case) and 3.2L (with 964 cams) which I bought from Carlos Cavaco.

The engine is now all tuned up and nearly ready to go. But, I’m now considering biting the bullet and doing a 3.4L, high comp, twin plug, super cup cams, carbs (or PMOs), etc etc build on the 3.2L.

I have spoken to lots of Porsche mates locally, with two clear camps: half of them believe the 3.2L is a nicely balanced drivetrain upgrade for an early car for everyday drivability, with the 3.4L being way too powerful; the other camp prefer the “just send it” approach of a very racey 3.4L.

I am keen for your views on this, especially from anyone that has done the swaps in their own early cars.

I have attached a photo of the green machine for reference.

thanks in advance for any inputs.

Cheers Jono
    Attached Files

Try the one you have, see if your mates in the 3.2 camp are right or are speaking with fork tongue.
    You can always go next level if not happy.

Aus del 68 911S

Comment

My opinion.... drive it, use it regularly, and then assess if you really need more power. The usability of the 3.2 and the added torque will be well enough to keep most people amused.
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

What will the majority of its usage be?
        I'm all for 'more hardcore the better' and a carby guy BUT there something really nice reassuring about flicking the key and it lighting up 2 seconds later, no pumping or holding your tongue in the right position... plus the 3.2 is pretty fun motor as is. Like Sean and Alex have said, definitely try it as is you may be pleasantly surprised!
        ​​​​​
        Tom Laube
        Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
        VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Working...
        X