Shannons Grand Prix Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shannons Grand Prix Auction

Shannons have a 1973 metallic green targa.

Check website
    Looking for car insurance that covers motoring enthusiasts? Shannons covers modern, classic and vintage cars and motorcycles. Get a quote today.
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

John Penfold selling?????? Looks like his but maybe not.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

That's a no I think Clyde...they say it's a T? Might put a call into Shannons and do a little investigating anyway.

Comment

Guys, I think this car belongs to Col Anderson (Hood sails) and is virtually a one owner car. Its pretty low miles ((50K ??) and I didnt think he would ever sell it.

Anyone who wants more info, i can put you in touch with him.

regds,
        Phil
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Phil,

I was wondering if it might be his...I am still wondering about the "T" designation though as Col's car is an "E" isn't it? Mind you, Shannons haven't really been noted for absolute accuracy in the past. As far as I know only 2 "E" Targas came into the country in this colour as Aussie deliveries. This could be an import though I suppose. Unless of course you know this is Col's car?

Comment

Lisa, i checked the Shannons pic against the library of pics I have of Col's car and it looks to be the same. its minus its IAF-911 plates though so cant be absolutely sure.

According to Col, its an Aussie delivery and he bought it from the original owner after about 1 year. its not been driven a lot though. it has houndstooth seats but theres a rip in the drivers seat. Its quite low miles but not sure of its mechanicals or service history.

I thought it was an E as well but the pics I have of the rear lid dont show a model designator.
            Attached Files
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

My records show 1 73 E targa 5 speed in metallic green came here and 2 73 T targa sportos in metallic green No T manuals in green or any S targas

It will be interesting to see the detail when the publish it
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I always thought there were 2 "E" Targas in this colour - obviously '73 production to be RHD Aussie cars - but Hugh has the records and they show only one which will be John Penfold's as I know for sure that is an E.

Curious eh Phil? If it is Col's car it would definitely be worth a serious look I would think even if it is a sporto...those 4 speeds aren't all bad you know once the servo unit, hoses and torque convertor are working well (and the microswitch etc :wink: ). I'm game to give Shannons a call FWIW. They may not have the car down there yet so might not be able to tell me much, but I'll give it a try as they like to ring me on the odd occasion to pick my brain about cars so I can return the favour :P . Better still, might swing by on a roadtest just in case the car is there...

I'll let you all know how I get on...

Comment

Lisa
                  I have just been advised by Shannons that the car is in the Cheltenham showroom.
                  I'm going to have a look later this arvo.
                  I'm also interested in the Silver Dawn RR - a former girlfriend (parents of) had one - plenty of room in the back seat as I remember (just)!!
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901

Comment

So Peter,

Dropping by for a cool drink or coffee? (no excuses - you'll be around the corner :lol: )... if I can get down to Shannons today I will too, otherwise I'll look forward to hearing results from you . I am not going near the Silver Dawn buddy....your domain!

Cheers,

Comment

Correction - the auction is the Melb International Motor Show auction to be held on 19 Feb, whereas this year the GP is in April.

I had a brief look at the car in discussion.
                      Phil is right - it is Col Anderson's car. Its a 1973 2.4T with sporto transmission.
                      ****ttt - just had a crack of thunder that made me wish I was wearing my brown corduroys!!! Is any one else getting this storm - I reckon that Chuck may have heard that one if he was outside!

To go on. The car has done about 48,000 mls, it still has the tear on the front drivers seat Phil, the front has been resprayed. the condition of the body is reasonable but the interior needs refurbishing - and it smells of cig. smoke (apologies to Lisa)

Expected price range $50-58k.
                      Peter Williams #049
                      Secretary TYP901

Comment

peter

did you get the numbers? is it #1827 or #1831?

It doesn't matter if you did not as Shannons should publish it
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Sorry Hugh - no numbers.
                          The cars are really packed in close and are behind barriers and to view it I had to be accompanied by a Shannons staff member - who incidently was really helpful - but he had another person waiting so my time was limited.

However - it definately is one of those numbers as I was assured it was an Aussie delivery. Phil seemed to know (or be able to find out ) aboput the car - so he may be able to help.

By the way - I hope to see many of you at the Shannons Historic Phillip Island. Lisa will post details soon
                          And Phil, by then I'll have my new sways bars etc fitted - booked in with George C next week. Will post the details later - when GC explains in my language what he has fitted.
                          Peter Williams #049
                          Secretary TYP901

Comment

I see that Shannons have updated the Melb Motor Show Auction details - althogh not yet completed.

Looking for car insurance that covers motoring enthusiasts? Shannons covers modern, classic and vintage cars and motorcycles. Get a quote today.

I also see that the guiding range for the 73 targa is $55-65000.

Hugh, Shannons provided me with the following numbers

Vin 9113112198
                            Engine 6139481

Do these make sense??
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter,

Hugh has trouble logging on at work...big brother on steroids!

The numbers are correct 911 3 = 1973 1 = T rest of number is production number.

61 3 = 1973 9 = sporto engine, rest of number is production number.

So the numbers are right...Hugh can check if they are matching as I don't have my books handy today and going from memory for production types.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X