Garages - Customs and Restos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garages - Customs and Restos

For me, one of the most important things about Porsche ownership is keeping 'em safe when not being driven and having somewhere to work on them.

This is a show and tell thread for us to post about your garage space, how you've built it, restored it, or personalised it.

My under-house slab was finally poured today and I can now get to work on building and setting up my perfect work space! I own an older style 'high set' home which was originally set up high on concrete pillars spaced every 6 - 8 feet which made it nearly impossible to fit the 911 comfortably under the house to work on, and the old concrete was uneven, sloping and cracked. The external walls will be colourbond orb sheeting with internal gyprock sheeting. I'm still debating over the flooring - 2-pac paint, VTC tile, race-deck et al...

Our own John Walker on the board here has a superb garage (post some photos John ), and I'd love to see what you guys have!

I've attached a few before and today photos...

Cheers
    Attached Files
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Where's the hoist going to fit John ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

he is cutting a hole in the floor so that he can raise it in to the living room!!!!
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Going to go with a scissor lift. I was even thinking of imbedding it in the concrete pour so that it was truly a drive over proposition, but decided we won't be here forever and selling the house with a big hollow in the garage floor mightn't have been smart.

I'm really interested in hearing what you guys are using on your floors? In my last garage I used a checkerplate effect vinyl. I was great to look at, but got damaged relatively easy, and tyres left dark patches where the car was parked. I'm leaning towards a 2pac floor, but want to do it myself.
        Attached Files
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

where is darren sharp? have only seen photos, but his garage looks to be pretty nice!!
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of Darrens garage
            Attached Files
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

John

FWIW I'd go with the 2 pack product, most of the workshops I've seen up here and a lot of industrial sheds have used it to good effect and it seems pretty hard to damage.
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Stewart had his floor done, but has not been totally happy with it. Next time we would go with the floor that Spencer Harrison has in his workshop. It seems to be very hardy alook the goods. Call him and I am sure you could find out what it is!!
                Alex Webster

Comment

john

i have just put down dynotile (racedeck knock off) in my new garage. its good stuff. i'll try and snap some pics for you.

ps. just don't lay them the wrong way, all 400 of them...

Comment

John, I suppose like most people, I would like at least twice the space I have, but I am generally very happy with the result of the garage that was built about 18 months ago. The floor is a BASF product "high-performance, seamless, self-smoothing industrial polymer flooring system from MBT (Australia) Pty Ltd. Known as Mastertop 1230" with details at this link:
                    Known as Mastertop 1230, this revolutionary flooring system is one of the products from MBT's Mastertop 'Polykit' System range, which incorporates a number of standardised elements to provide a wide range of flooring systems and finishes in a selection of colours.

It has stood up perfectly to use so far but I am certain there are far less expensive solutions eg 2-pack on a well finished slab that would be just as good. I have commented on the scissor lift before and I have found it great but with unlimited room, I would go for a 2- or 4-post hoist.
                    The best recent improvement was the installation of a fixed engine stand - so much better than the mobile one. Other than that, lots of power points including 15amps and an old PC for the Porsche parts catalogue and music.
                    I hope this helps.
                    Regards,
                    John
                    Attached Files

Comment

I went for an industrial grade 2 pac finish in light grey, which I applied to a new slab. That was around 8 years ago and on the rare occasion it gets cleaned it comes up as well as the day it was applied. My father in-law initially had a less than satisfactory experience with a similar product on his floor, with the surface bubbling and peeling. He ended up having a concrete screed laid and had it reapplied to the fresh surface and has been very happy with the result.
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

No tech specs but enjoy the hardware.....

Visited this joint last weekend......no Porkers due to the owners predilections, but a brilliant garage nonetheless.

Prize of a cold glass of beer offered to one that can name the steeds present (and these are only p a r t of the collection).

Cheers

Stewart.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Benetton F1 - missed it in the first photo!
                          Muira
                          250 Lusso?
                          Daytona
                          3500 Mazerati
                          3.0 CSL BMW

oh and what looks to be a De'Lorean/Lotus out the front through the glass!!!
                          Alex Webster

Comment

Muira
                            Ferrari 250 Lusso
                            Ferrari Daytona
                            Ferrari 250 GTE
                            BMW CS 2800

and an 85/86 Benetton (if it s the BMW engined, white , green, muilti hued car (my favourite) the bloke has my undying admiration.
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

oh and I missed the M1 parked off to the side
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765