TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

43 degree Melbourne day - effect on carb engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

43 degree Melbourne day - effect on carb engine?

Would any of you drive your early 911 on such a hot day? It's a hot one in Melbourne today!

Erwin,

You would have to be nuts to go out on a day like that if you didn't have to !
    We had our 45 deg day in Sydney on New Years day.
    I think it would be a tossup as to whether your motor overcooked first or you expired due to the appalling lack of ventilation in an early 911 !
    Take a tram,mate !! :lol:

Cheers,
    Dennis.

Comment

my car doesn't even have a fan, let alone AC
      Black interior = horrible to be in over 30c

Comment

Any weather is Porsche driving weather!!!

Just go faster in the heat!!!

Shane

Comment

New years day - was 46 degrees at our place... just marvellous ... not....

I thought about taking the 911 out yesterday... for about 2 minutes, then opted for one of the air conditioned Subaru's we have!

As I drove across Northern Victoria in 2003 on the way to the 356 Parade in 35 degree heat, with one eye on the oil temp guage and the other on my rapidly dwindling supply of drinking water I decided early 911's were sublime between about March and November. December / January and February... you might as well forget about driving one during the day... in Sydney anyway.

How did our parent tolerate old Holden's, with vinyl seats and no a/c? How did my parents have a family, and run a 356 and sportomatic Beetle as daily drivers?

Justin R
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Had the opportunity this weeke to drive to Anglesae twice in one week (80 miles for interstaters).

Day one 38 degress...forget it

Day two 43 degrees...never in a million years

Now I am silly but not strupid.

Drove the Mazda SP 23 both days and stayed cool!!!
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I remember a few years back dad and I did the Indy Car Rally which goes through NSW and into QLD. That week it hit 40+ and we were in the 356.

We did two things, popped the vent windows inverted and then hit the windscreen washers, which would hit the vent windows and provide evaporative AC. When that ran out we went into to a take away shop and bought an atomizer, filled it with water, and proceeded to spray ourselves to keep cool.

Just when I thought I would never do this again, MT Buller weekend looks like it will be 30 - 40 degrees most days, so I can only thing about wearing a driving suit, balaclava and helmet, and the 10 odd minutes of hell going up the hill 8 times over the weekend.... PRAY FOR RAIN AND COOL WEATHER!!!

Early 911's have the advantage of the vent windows, they are a the best, even if you later guys don't like them - Justin and I will be laughing on the hotter runs during the year!!!
              Alex Webster
              A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Mmm... in my previous 77 911 I had Phil install a 993 air con unit which worked quite well... wonder if that can be done with my 68... or maybe an aftermarket unit...

Comment

Working...
                X