Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Oil for 2.4E MFI

Greetings

I'm soon going to be changing the oil again and seek the good guidance of the club as to brands and type/grade of oil best suitable for a recently rebuilt 2.4 MFI.

I'm a little uncertain about the most appropriate type/grade given all the choices now available. Oils ain't oils.
    Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.

Found the following link which answered my question...
    Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Paul, I've tried Mobil and Shell synthetics and non synthetics in the past for my 2.2, but now use Castrol Magnatec Professional 15w/40. My engine is noticeably quieter and smoother. 9 litres cost me $76.50 from my local mechanic ( I think the "Professional" means its trade and in bulk).
      Cheers
      Paul Miniken

Comment

Thanks Paul. Did you notice any new leaks when you used the synthetic stuff?
        Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

I have a 1977 2.7 with a rather old engine which was filled with Mobil S( synthetic ) by PR Technology at the service they did on the car and it leaked like the Exxon Valdez . As soon as it was changed to Shell Helix by Cavaco in Glebe most of the leaks stopped . Carlos at Cavaco says old Porsche engines and synthetics do not mix as the synthetics get past old seals and my experience certainly bears this out .

Comment

I hear what you say. Some goose did the same to mine using Mobil, right after the rebuild. The engine was clean and re- powder coated. The oil burnt on the heat exchange, exhaust etc. It splattered everywhere. Very annoying.
            Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Hi Paul, see John's comment, sure he's right. Since my top end rebuild a couple of years ago, I haven't had any significant leaks, but my view is that the older engines need the same period oils.

Comment

Oils aint oils

Comment

I've been using Fuchs Titan dino with no dramas.
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John, thanks. I'll try and hunt some down. I'm assuming I can get it from Porsche in Collingwood - Melb.
                    Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

FWIW Spencer at RRR uses Fuchs too (& now so do I!)
                      MichaelJapp
                      71E
                      Typ901 #065
                      EarlyS #798

Comment

With a name like Fuchs, how could you go wrong
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

I've been using Fuchs oil in my KTM supermotard and am very happy with the performance. The bike is a 640cc single making 60 hp and the oil stands up better than the Shell stuff I first used with no appreciable change in engine noise and consistent gear shifts etc. Alot of bike guys seem to be moving to Fuchs but the bike shops generally only have modern synthetic stuff designed for bike engines with wet clutches etc. Anyone know a supplier in Bris for a suitable mineral oil for our old aircooled engines?

Cheers
                          Jeff Eelkema
                          TYP 901 #132
                          S-Reg #1431
                          69E (project)
                          various bevel Ducatis
                          60s Vespa

Comment

Jeff, I last purchased Fuchs at Autopro.

I also have the details of the Australian importer of Swepco oil. Apart from their famous gearbox oil, they apparently do a very nice mineral oil suitable for older engines. If anyone wants the email contact, let me know - he's easy to deal with and just uses Aussie Post to get the oil out to you.
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                            X