MT Buller wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MT Buller wrap

alex - how was mt buller? i heard the road was melting again...

hey Ryan,
    see the other post re factory cars at Buller - don't know if we will do it again, simply too hard on the old cars, heat was bad (need an oil cooler for CRC!) and tyres are knackered, you should see there is 5-10 mm of tar on the tyres, and it is a bugger to get off. Just ask Marcus and Andrew who helped me up there. We decided there was an easier way - 200 kmh on the road out of Buller!
    Having said that, after the first run yesterday - they were shot again.
    Not happy Buller!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

So Alex,

are they what you call "tarmac tyres" now ??

must have been fun to drive on them ?? were many competitors complaining ?
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

From what I hear, everyone had the same problem, causing a major grip issues. It caused everything from near spins, to a written off GT3 I believe!

Comment

No fun at all.
          An STi and a WRX were written off on the way DOWN THE HILL trying to get rid of the stuff off their tyres - straight over the edge, no helmets belts etc = NOT GOOD.
          The GT3, they hit a tree at close to 160. The navigator is still in hospital, had bad head injuries from what I head, and have not had any word as yet to an update. Very sad though, as it was a father and son combo, and the son (navigator) is the one in hospital. He was airlifted to the Alfred on Sunday about 11am.
          Alex Webster

Comment

sounds like some real liability issues may emerge from this one. the condition of the road is indeed a major factor here and sounds like it was a known problem and the heat only added to the problems.

Is it enough to kill the event at this time of year due to hot weather ??
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Mark Clair was saying there is talk of starting the event earlier in the day with the view to finishing the runs by lunchtime. Also there was talk of trying to move the event whilst avoiding ski season and possible late/early snow but no dates were forthcoming due to other rally dates that the event would clash with or be too close to.

He said his tyres were so badly coated that he had no grip at all on the last run and understeered into the first few corners and elected to back off. Something will have to be done, but goodness knows what at this stage...

Cheers,

Comment

We were in the same boat - bugger all grip!
                Mark, Dave and I spoke at length, and there are all sorts of ways to solve it, however I think the future of the event is uncertain due to two very serious accidents in the last two years, both which could have ended in fatalities.
                I don't think we will do it again given its current format and time of year, it is too hot, too dangerous and too hard on the 'older' cars. It is fast becoming a PURE HP event.
                Having said that, it bring Buller alive in Summer, there is great local support for the event, and plenty of willing participants, however I think overall there is a lot of fixing up and refining that needs to be done for it to bring back people year after year like Targa and Classic Adelaide.
                2c from me!
                Alex Webster

Comment

the fellow badly injured is the son of a PCNSW member...

I don't know them terribly well (hardly at all)... but heard that Blake is in a medically induced coma. He is receiving the best of care, and has sustained extensive injuries....broken vertebra etc.

If the condition of the road contributed and the organisers knew I would suggest there might be some strife.... Mark Goddard and Phil Mas were amazed at the marshalling of the event - a multi-car pile up happened metres from them on Thursday and it was a security guard that prevented more carnage by radioing his base and relaying a message to the organisers somehow...

Sounds like a wonderful event - but it just shows how well organised an event of this nature needs to be. You can't take the she'll be right approach.

By the way Alex Mark reckons the yellow 356 sounds the business - what engine are you running ....a 2.5?

Justin R
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I think this thread has gone a bit off topic. Moderators ????
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil

I have split the thread into 2 now we have a deicated MT Buller Wrap seeing that this event (and the unfortunate circumstances) has created a lot of interest

Now I have leant how to split a post watch out...................... :twisted:
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

good idea when something runs off the original thread.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Wheel spin off the line may also help heat up the tyres!
                          Attached Files

Comment

We found a 1970 911S in nice condition at the event.
                            Proud long term owner, he had it restored in the 80s evidently
                            Serial number 191592, Engine Number 6301322
                            The owner mentioned that one of the 901 guys had passed him a business card a few months back but he hadn't joined as yet.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Interior, with keys!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X