Snapped throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped throttle cable

Snapped my throttle cable today whilst pumping the accelerator like you do pre starting.

I haven't had a chance to inspect the point of break yet, but i imagine it would probably be pretty close to the pedal itself.

Is there a common place that these break?

Incidentally I discovered that it is possible to drive the car across town with the hand throttle

ed

are you sure it was a cable? most 911's have a series of linkages with ball joint ends. you may have simply had a linkage pop off. the hand throttle acts on the same linkages.

i would start with the joint on the back of the pedal and go from there.

Comment

agree with Ryan.

The linkages are a source of problems when rebuilding a car. They need to be aligned correctly or you may not get full throttle, full closed throttle, or a heavy pedal!

The joys of over engineering!!!
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I found with my 356 that you need to ensure the pedal cluster is perfectly perpendicular to the tunnel - particularly if you have a converted LHD. You also need to ensure the accel. rod that goes from the pedal cluster to the tunnel rod is on a level plane. I spent a couple of nights tweaking this on my 356 a while ago and I was amazed at how much smoother the accelerator worked.

Comment

Ed,
          There is a a connector near the gear box that has some kind of rubber boot over it. My went a while back. pumped the accelerator to start and pedal went straight to floor. Couple of cable ties got me home.
          Easy fix(with a hoist) and I don't think it was to expensive.

How fast can you go with just the hand throttle? I was 130km from home so thought it would take me ages on just the hand throttle.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I didn't realise they were just linkages back there, but it sounds similar to what had happened to Brett.

Trust something like this to happen on my last day of annual leave. Now I have no time to fix it!

The pedal has always been ? slightly on the heavy side. I am not sure what normal is but maybe the linkages were incorrectly aligned which has led to this.

The car is probably going to Mark Poole's in the next week or so anway.

There is also a problem with intermittent backfiring. It seems to occur at all revs although less than when the engine has warmed up.

Mark seems to think acid dipping them is the way to go as the carbies are in good condition otherwise. We previously cleaned the idler jets in attempt to cure the backfiring. Whilst this improved the characteristic 'popping' when cold on start-up, it had no effect on the backfiring.

It would be interesting to hear whether this is an approach you guys think is the next logical step in trying to cure the backfiring. Or is there something else I should troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance

Comment

The backfiring may be an ignition timing issue....

When did it last have a tune?

Mark P is a good guy
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

It was tuned around November last year by Mark just after I bought it. At this time we also put warmer spark plugs in it that suited using it as a driver (which is what it is).

It was backfiring before and after this.

I brought it back to Mark and we then cleaned the idler jets which we thought had cured the problem, but by the time I was half way home after picking it up, it started backfiring again.

So Mark thought acid dipping the carburetors would be the best way to completely clean them to ensure that there was no debris which could be causing this intermittent but frequent problem.

Comment

Backfiring on overrun - muffler or header leak

Backfiring on accel - try jets, coil, leads, fuel supply and mixtures, plug heat range

Mark will sort it out!!!
                  Alex Webster
                  A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

So I had a look to see where the throttle linkage had broken - see pics.

What would be the best way of fixing this? I am not sure if this is to fine to weld up or if there is a simple replacement/upgrade.

Comment

Ed

Can you zoom out a bit so we can work out where it is!!!

Isn't the ball part that snaps into the cup held on by a nut on the original upright piece there?
                      Cam Arnott
                      Looking for engine #6208151
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

The picture is just left of the transmission tunnel/front left footwell.

I also thought that there was a nut to fix in place but on closer inspection it is a blank hole.

Maybe this it is different because it is a converted car. I am not sure what normal looks like.

Unfortunately these pics were taken zoomed in so I cant show you it in perspective - and the car isn't with me at the moment to take more

Comment

Working...
                        X