Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct RSR Fuchs Finish

Hi Guys

I cranked up a thread onpelican in relation to refinishing my 7/8x15 Fuchs with the 'frosted' RSR look. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=460695

Basically I have a blasting equipment (glass) and have an anodiser able to do the job, but I need to know how to finishe the raw alloy off before the anodise is done. Dupulu is not far away, and I know they refinish Fuchs - but I'm not sure they could replicate the RSR finish without more info. Plus I'm tight and capable of doing the majority of the work myself

I did search the EarlyS Registry and Harvey Weidman notes that the finish is not beadblast, but plannishing... Anyone know specifically what this would be inrelation to Fuchs?

Mark and Dave (WERK1), do you guys have some knowledge on how best to do this?

Cheers
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

John,

Take my comments as you see them - never done this sort of thing before, but had plenty of experience with anodising.

Anodising is worse for blemishes than paint - any blemish in the base metal will be accentuated. I reckon you need to aim at a 'mechanical' finish - ie a blasting machine with a fairly 'soft' media - in our game we even use wheat husk in a blast to remove paint but not harm the finish below.

I'd keep away from scotch brite or anything requiring hand fettling for the consistency of finish. As far as I know plannishing is a form of peening - a hammer & anvil type thingy.

For the anodise you want a clear / sealed / decorative anodise, I would guess you'd get the same anodise over both the 'blasted' spokes and the 'polished' rim, too much masking otherwise.

If you then want to paint the black - beware there is a time limit of about a week to paint on an anodised surface, after which the paint won't 'take' without being re-activated with another trip to the anodiser.

Hope this helps
    Marcus
    TYP901 Member #81
    1972 911E

Comment

Thanks Marcus. So I have about a week to paint after the anodise process is done?

I'd heard that the anodise will show blemishes, and my wheels do have a few The pelican thread shows Al Reed's use of powdercoat to replicate the look - that may be the direction I take...
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
      X