Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RSR Fuch Finishing

Hi Guys

I'm taking a powdercoat route with a set of fuchs and attempting a RSR style finish. I'll document and photograph it all.

I've got a quote for powder coating only (no media blasting) for 4 wheels for $400... it seems a bit dear. Any opinion on that?

What I'm shooting for...
    Attached Files
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

John, thats a nice finish on the wheels in the picture. Will you get them powder coated in silver, then paint in the black?
    My steelies cost $90 per wheel. That includes sand blasting, etch primer, then powder coat. The hardest part is choosing a silver from the colour charts.
    Keep us posted .

Comment

Hi Matt

My quote is for coating only as they only do sand blasting and won't guarantee that the media won't damage the aluminium. I've got a small glass bead blasting cabinet here at home, so I wasn't worried and said I'd do it. I just reckon $100 per rim is a little steep...

I'm still torn on the final finish and haven't ruled out anodise. One of my 8" rims will need a weld repair and I'm told anodise will highlight the changed metal chrystals around the repair (looks darker). However it appears my repair is in a location where the paint paint fill goes.

I'm yet to see what clear powdercoat over aluminium looks like, as the new metallic powder paints do seem to come really close to the real thing. And yes the black gets painted in regardless of the finish (anodise or powder)

Inspiration from this thread... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=201458

Cheers
      John Forcier
      Restoration Saga

Comment

Matt.....who did your steelies ? What colour silver did you chose in the end ? Any photo's ? I have three steels & waiting for a forth......part number 613 3A (15 x 5.5). If you know where I could find one would love to hear from you.....

John......I also have 5 x original fuchs (15 x 6) that need to be refinished. Being lazy I just want to find someone who can provide the original anodised look without doing any damage. Not too concerned if it's powercoat, anodised etc etc.....do you know anyone who provide an end to end process ?

Good luck on yours !!!
        Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
        1994 993 (road car)
        1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
        1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
        PCV #528

Comment

matt,

i had neales wheels in sydney do a set of steelies for me. they cut off the outer, welded on a 6" barrel (from a commodore of all things), and then powdercoated them silver.

pics here: http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php...ight=commodore

it was a while ago and i think it was something like AU$200 per wheel.

Comment

Hi Matt

In Melbourne, Classic Road & Track can do them as per factory http://www.classicroadandtrack.com.a...ge=fuchswheels

I was sorely tempted to have them do my wheels, but as mine are less than perfect - I'm just not sure its worth it, so I thought I'd have a go myself.

Dupulu Wheels on the Gold Coast in Queensland can also apparently do original finish (not sure about RSR though). I have also found out who they use for the anodising... so that's why I'm thinking about that route now also.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

John.....thanks great tip. Hypothetically approximately how much would it cost per rim....ha ha
              Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
              1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
              PCV #528

Comment

John,

A couple of tips on powdercoat. The wheels will need to be very finely blasted, as it will severely affect the finish. If you do track days the heat will soften the powdercoat and the brake dust will stick.

I had race car wheels done but the heat destroyed the finish. My family have have been in the powdercoating business for many years, The best finish is if the wheels are coated hot, there is less pitting, and the finish is smoother. fwiw!!

Comment

Thanks Timp!
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

I spoke to David from Classic Road & Track today. I've sent him pics of each rim for a quote & will report back. The process seems to replicate the factory anodised process with the end result being good enough for concourse events. The bad news is the price which was quoted at $400-$550 per rim !!!!

I have some rims for my 993 that were done by Matt Coleman in Chruch St, Richmond & look great.....I spoke to him also & he's quoting end to end restoration with powdercoat finish at approx $200 per rim (including crack repairs which I have on one rim). He's done them before & has a clear powder coat mix that replicates the anodised look. These will be used as road rims on a bitsa 912 so I'm not sure I need the concourse treatment. Any thoughts ?

By the way. I'm still in the market for a couple of steelies if anyone has any ? 4.5 or 5.5 is OK......cheers
                    Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                    1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
                    PCV #528

Comment

Yeas, I came to the same conclusion - my wheels are no good enough candidates to be turned into concours wheels. The over all condition of my car is 75%, so having 100% wheels doesn't make sense for me at this time. Dave's stuff is the shizz though!

Matt if you can coax the 'clear mix" powder coat ratios out of Coleman, I'd be pleased to know
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

I dropped them off today & pick them up when I arrive back in Melbourne (mid April). Will definately post some photo's & see what I can find out for you.....any recommendations on tire choice for 15x6's......the fuch's will be road use only.......cheers
                        Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                        1994 993 (road car)

901 #160
                        PCV #528

Comment

matt - plenty of threads on tyre choice.

my money is on R rated tyres... even for road use.
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

matt,

i would suggest a 205/55 or a 205/60 on a 6" rim. anything vaguely sporty spec from a 'name' brand (yoko, michelin, dunlop) will be fine.

for purely road use, i would stay away from R tyres - they wear quickly and have poor grip when cold.

Comment

I second Ryan's thoughts on R's for road only, & add noisy & throw rocks up higher, I've got a couple of spots where my fender looks like it's been tapped with a rock hammer. & also questionable grip in the wet.
                              MichaelJapp
                              71E
                              Typ901 #065
                              EarlyS #798

Comment

Working...
                              X