Engine refurbishment - what to replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine refurbishment - what to replace

G'day again, getting my money's worth at the moment!

I have stripped the 3.2 ('85) down to the long block however I don't intend to split the case as it the leakdown was good.

Just trying to establish what should and shouldn't be replaced for one of these puppies?

I figure it would be good to do the:

timing chain (master link)
    all hardware
    all plating

My question to those in the know, what else would you and wouldn't you bother replacing? Sensors? Thermostats?

Cheers

R

Roland, replace all the gaskets you can, especially the ones at the rear that you normally can't get to. Do your valve clearances whilst the engine is out, get the tin-ware powdercoated satin black, change the rubber skirt that seals the engine in the engine bay. Now might be good to replace the sound pad? I always replace the rear main seal whenever my engine is out too.

Now is the best time to degrease the engine bay and do any touch-ups.

If you want to do some cosmetic things, you can paint the shroud and valve covers and maybe get the fan bead-blasted or powder coated.

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John
      What about senders, chain etc? Worth doing or should I leave well alone?

Comment

If "stuff" is working I tend to leave well enough alone... Definitely do the top breather gasket and the o-ring seal in the thermostat as these are a bitch to get to on later engines when they're in the car.

As for the timing chains, well without knowing when they were last done, its hard to say. When I built my 2.7 it turned out to be very timely (pun intended) as the timing chain sprockets had broken teeth - on the idler shaft and completely out of view until I split the case... I guess it can't hurt to change them, consider doing the plastic ramps/guides as well.

I'm actually going through my engine as well. I took it out over the weekend to rebuild my gearbox. Whilst I'm waiting for my box parts to arrive, I'm cleaning up the engine (the rear main seal was just starting to leak right on cue). I'm pleased, the powdercoating and plating I had done 5 years ago has held up perfectly, though I'm tempted to re-do my plating as I had it done in chrome rather than the yellow cad last time.
        Attached Files
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

John can you please move to Sydney, preferably just up the road so you can pop around as often as you like. Also so I can use your oven for powder coating.

Comment

See you next month
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

John
              What treatment have you given to your fan and shroud.
              Mine was blasted and clear powder coated about 6 years ago. Looked fantastic when done but now has dark patches 'leaching' through from within and looks a bit 'blotchy'. I'm keen to have it re-done but not sure which treatment is best for long lasting good looks (like Julie)
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901
              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Sorry Roland, I know this was about you

Peter, for the shroud I degreased it, sanded it, and wiped it over with acetone, then I painted it with 2pac 'fire engine red' I got for free. I also did the upper valve covers and then sanded off the paint with 1500 over the Porsche embossing.

For the fan and ring, I bead blasted it and had it powder coated in the silver/alloy colour you see. It's held up really well with the exception of some scuffs I caused when I started the engine after a clean. Without removing a cleaning rag

I've read about a product called 'Gibbs' that the Americans rave about, but haven't found it here. Apparently you bead blast the fan and then apply Gibbs and it is protected for years...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

For the fan, I was told to bead it then coat with "Plucid" which is made by POR. Strong as steel and clear. You can by it from Richmond, Melb.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X