1971T timewarp photos galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1971T timewarp photos galore

Well you asked for them so here they are lots of pics on my newest arrival. What do you think?
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

More
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President

Comment

More
      Attached Files
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President

Comment

more
        Attached Files
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

More
          Attached Files
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

More
            Attached Files
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

More
              Attached Files
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Last for now!
                Attached Files
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

WELL Clyde I think........................................you were trying to get your 200th post up :wink:

seriously it looks fantastic good enough to move the RHD /LHD "debate" to the next level of what is better an original unmolested low mileage "lowly T" or a poorer condition, non original S

and is this reflected in pricing yet or not :?:
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh

Doesnt that depend pretty much entirely on what you want it for?

An original car like this new addition to the Clyde stable must surely stay that way...so if you value originality more than the last letter on the badge, want to go the concourse route etc, then its surely the car for you.
                    A modified, restored or tired car on the other hand offers more latitude about where you can take it, doesn't it? There was a lot of discussion about that 700 mile car in the US last year on this topic, and opinions were very diverse. My own view is that unmolested original cars are now very rare, and it would be silly to pay the premium and then up spec it. You can do that from a much cheaper starting point and not destroy something unique along the way.

My feelings, having an original and a restored/correct car, is that I am quite amenable to making minor, reversible mods to the latter (eg short shifter) to improve the driving experience, whereas with the former I think VERY carefully about changing anything, as you can only be original once. Last year I angsted about swapping the original h/e's and muffler to SSI's. I eventually did it, but the fact is these components are no longer original. Correct, but no longer original. Clydes pix of his new T remind me vividly of my 73E...there is an undoubted patina of use and age, but the authenticity seeps through and it is a lovely thing.

The LHD vs RHD debate is another entirely, and very much a subjective, individual thing. It will worry some people, not others. Personally I think the topic you have raised, ie condition vs spec, is more interesting.

tonyc

Comment

Yes it will be interesting won't it if and when this car does a little piggy and "goes to market"
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

shouldn't that be "little porker goes to market " ??
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

What is originality?
                          Is it maintaining a car with all the major components it had when it came out of the factory - or is it acceptable to change some components with ones that were an option at the time of manufacture, but of better quality?.
                          For example, and I refer directly to Clyde's car, is it acceptable to swap the Zenith carbies for webers which are far superior? Webers were offered as an option in 1971.
                          Other options offered at the time were sunroof and rear wiper - is it maintaining originality to add these components if they are exactly as the factory would have fitted them?
                          Lots of ???
                          I am not an expert, but I know the areas where my car is not 'original' - however I am very happy with it and will never sell it!! Absolute originality is very important to some - but close to originality suits me just fine.
                          As Tony suggested, Clydes car is as close to original as one would expect from a 35 year old car, and it does have a nice patina - I know I have seen it and driven it. I repeat myself from a previous post - if one was keen on acquiring a 901 worth having, then this is it (depending on price) - and the good thing is - it's here. Clyde has done all the hard work.
                          Peter Williams #049
                          Secretary TYP901
                          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

OK I admit it I am an originality freak!!!

What does that mean to me...well its simple I think.

I think original is as it left the factroy, unrestored with no additions and no repaints.

Very few Porsche cars are left in the world like that even the 71T has had some front over riders added and a front sway bar both of which could be removed without any evidence of their existence to return the car to as it left the factory but then a previous owner has done a light spray of the front of the car...there goes its totally original tag.

Webers v Zenith all I know is my car starts first time every time without the hand throttle and runs great. Guess I may find out more as time goes on.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

do I get the whiff of a mini TYP901 Concours coming on ???
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X