Clear All

Lovely 73CIS car for sale Stateside

I know this car its very, very good. My tip is north of $35,000 US

Sorry about the long link
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Go on Clyde..by last count Phil's ahead in the numbers department.

Seriously though it looks AMAZING in the evilbay pix. I'm even warming to the colour. Those over-riders and headlights though. Yuk. Which raises the interesting issue that Hugh flagged yesterday of...ORIGINALITY!

Given that this particular car is US delivery and pristine, how would you deal with it. Would you change these cosmetic things to make it look more like a Euro/Oz spec car (ie no longer original) or leave it as is because that is the way this particular car was delivered from the factory.

Not sure what I would do. You and Phil have probably talked about this issue given that you are starting to import cars like this here. I would like to hear your thoughts and maybe others would too.

My 2c worth is that if there is a genuine market for original LHD cars here, then it would be wrong to try and make them some sort of hybrid - better to be up front and celebrate the difference between the specs at a global scale.

Any other opinions?

tonyc

Comment

my opinion:

it may be in good condition but US$35k plus shipping etc for 140 HP and CIS throttle response - no thanks.

Comment

Tony,

I would change the overiders to Euro Spec but would keep the originals in case someone wanted to return it to original spec, headlights I could live with but would change them if I was buying, which I am not.

Just put it up to show whats available and at what price maybe. I am guessing at the price but more than one CIS 73T has sold for this or more recently and there are a few chasing this price for sure.

Ryan, fair enough, it not your cup of tea but Phil has got his CIS car running just fine, his mechanic thinks they are a little maligned and Phils is a T but seems to go just fine with him behind the wheel.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

...which just goes to show "different strokes for different folks".

Ryan being the pscho rev-head he is is after the horsepower/$ factor, whereas others are happy with a flexible tractable reliable period car.

Peter Zimmermans excellent little publication 'The Used 911 Story" rates the 73.5T as his first 10/10 longhood - "the smoothest, most pleasant of all the 911's to drive...the engine at all rpm levels is responsive and has sufficient torque at very low engine speeds..fit and finish was as good as any car could expect to be. Seams and paint was perfect, almost as though the folks at the Porsche factory knew they were building really special models...no other 911 model has shown a lower cost per mile bottom line".

Out of interest he is also enamoured with the 2.2's (9/10), and especially the T's of which he says "the 70 and 71 911T's were an absolute blessing. Not many people realise just how good these cars were, and still are today...the car is just about the perfect blend of horsepower, gear ratios, economy, comfort and quiet that has ever happened to sportscar drivers...these cars were good from day one, lots of then were sold, and nice examples are plentiful compared to other models."

So there you go Clyde, great wrap for your timewarp!

tonyc

Comment

Long link

Hey Clyde.
            I just posted on the forum info section. If you have a long link like yours, you can use

(free)

and it the site will transpose your long web link into a tiny one. For example, I just did yours and:

will link to the ebay page you mentioned.

Comment

Whoa there Big Ears it has taken me 6 years to learn how to copy and paste a URL and you want me to do what!!!!

Tony, If you keep doing my work for me I may have to send you a cut when a deal is done.

Next question folks: Where would you think I would get the best advertising response?

Unique cars
              SydneyMH and Melb Age
              Cars.com or similar
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Don't forget the Dutton direct site Clyde. The ads present really well from what I've seen - worth a look I'd think.

And I'd advertise it in the for sale section of this board too as we are getting good 'hits' and anyone can read even if they can't post...

BTW - I sent you an email from secretary - hope it hasn't been spammed.

Cheers,

Comment

"Ryan being the pscho rev-head he is is after the horsepower/$ factor, whereas others are happy with a flexible tractable reliable period car. "

well i think that's a little harsh...

however, from a driving perspective, i do think that these cars have a 'sweet spot' at around 180-220 hp/tonne. much under that and i think they are just underpowered for real world driving (eg. going up hills, coming out of tight corners etc). further, much over that and i think the chassis design starts to struggle.

my first 911 was a stock 2.2E - yes it was nicely balanced, yes it revved wonderfully, the stock gear ratios were quite good etc BUT fundamentally i just found it slow. likewise the "tick every option box" 88 3.2 that followed it - slow.

weirdly, my 930 is perhaps overpowered. even after 3 years of practice it takes absolute concentration to drive it at even 7 or 8/10ths.

Comment

But isn't it great that we have such a good cross section of members in this club that support different areas of interest in these early cars ??

Ryan is obviously into HP and competition, others are into preservation and originality, I'm just into the fun you can have in these cars and don't care if everything isn't quite perfect (or original), just so long as they are mechanically sound, well sorted and fast to drive.

I do tend to agree with Clyde that the gold car on ebay is a great car and will meet the price he suggests given the state of the US market at present. And I am quote happy with the CIS system on the 2.2 71T I have. it gives good enough performance and great fuel economy and it not temperamental.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Clyde,

The first 2....

The two cars I sold (356C and Carrera 3.0) were done in the pre-98, pre-internet age....

Both sold as the result of Unique Cars...but I always look in the Age and SMH
                      Justin R
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I fit between Ryan and Phil...

While I can appreciate a Nice original car - I doubt I could live with it... I need to fiddle with it.

My L is modified but subtly, and nothing is irreversible. I haven't drive heaps of early cars... but I also agree with Ryan in that the early cars seem to hit a sweet spot when they have between 160 and 200hp...

My other experiences are 2.2S, 2.4T and 2.4E (with 2.2S p&c), so effectively a 2.5. And a few later ones...

My car goes so much better than it did when I bought it... with just some 2.2E pistons, cylinder and cams, and a rear sway bar, and front stabiliser...

I can remember hustling it along a favourite road in the Southern Highlands after I bought it and was horrified at it ... after the Carrera 3.0ltr. The car was rapidly dispatched to East Coast, had the suspension done - rear sway bar, front sway bar and strut brace - and it was so much better... so I know exactly what you feel like Peter W.

Same with the engine... 165 hp, sounds like 190 with the arbarth exhaust... Its nice... it'll rev, it has torque.... Was appreciating how nice it was today on the drive over to Porsche Sydney South... was invited for their Cayman open day... complete with baby alligator from Taronga Zoo!

Might see some of you this week when I'm in Melbourne... Wednesday and Thursday.

Signing off,

Justin R
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                        X