Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip Island Historics Day One

WOW!

Carl thanks so much for organising the event....and to all the guys and girls who attended today - WE ROCK!!!!

Now I'm not the only who thinks so...even the organisers were overheard on more than one occasion commending our display...thrilled that we put in so much effort.

Every one of the people today chipped in, manned the display, set things up, promoted the Register - it was fantastic! Alex came up with a fab. parking arrangement where we fanned the cars around the designated area and it looked just wonderful (most other displays looked like a car park - not us!). There was a lot of interest all day - the whole experience was fantastic !

And the pits....and the racing.... this event is a world class historic meet and I can't wait to get down there again tomorrow.

Pics to follow soon....

Here is a sample of what was there!
    Attached Files

Comment

What a FANTASTIC day it was today - and there is another day tomorrow
      Where do you start to describe it?

10 early cars in the display looking absolutely fantastic - Great idea Alex Webster to have them all fanned around the enclosure. There was continuous comment on the professionalism of the display - especially all the matching boards on the cars giving details of each one. We had people thru the display throughout the day and possibly have signed up a couple of new members.

A fantastic entrance of almost all the cars together - after the two groups that went down separately met outside the circuit

We had 2 genuine RS's a production sports race car and Stewart Kay's first RHD Australian delivered 911 as well as a diverse group of other cars. With some different cars going tomorrow the weekend will have really showcased our group.

A little bit of rain on the way down to cause chaos with the entry stickers but a fantastic day after that - Bruce Youngs first outing on the track coincided with the heaviest rain

The Cars - where do you start - the factory museum cars? The F1 cars? the special Porsches K3's, 962's, C6's, 934's, 935's, as well as RS's, the Australian historic "big banger" Group C and Touring Cars or the FANTASTIC Lolas, Shelby's, Allards, (real) GT40, Aston Martins, Bugattis, let alone a Matich SR3 AND SR4 :shock: :shock:

And there is more tomorrow - Anyone in Melbourne who does not have a major commitment should take a trip down to "the Island" just 90 mins from the city.

We had a couple of members out on the track - Bruce Youngs 911 and Ian Henderson's Carrera 6 (see photo) and there were a number of other early cars competing as well.

more photos to come....
      Attached Files
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

more pics

Some of the museum cars
        Attached Files
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Porsche Eye candy as far as you can see
          Attached Files
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

TYP901 member Bruce Young in his Pit (under cover well worth the additional cost!) proudly displaying one of our boards and a coupe more Pics of our display
            Attached Files
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks for bringing all the cars! The display looked great, and your efforts on the display were noticed by all. Only the Triumph club gave us a run with their display. I thought most of the clubs put in a pretty poor effort, which made ours look even better.

Great meeting, got to see some lovely machinery too.

Comment

Originally posted by HughH
                A fantastic entrance of almost all the cars together - after the two groups that went down separately met outside the circuit
                This didn't go unnoticed either...we were commended by the PCV registers captain Richard Oldham and PCV restoration register captain Graeme Ankers....they both said how wonderful it was to watch us all drive in together and wished they had a camera at the ready to capture "a magnificent sight"....also lamented that they hadn't organised with their members to do the same.

In fact I spent a fair amount of very productive time with some of the PCV Committee which should net great results for both clubs...more to follow on this but it's all good!

Cheers,

your absolutely exhausted but very happy sec!

Comment

Carl,

You're right...The Triumph Owners Club display looked great... I was disappointed too with the other displays. I also had a lot of people ask me where the 356 Register were - it was a real shame that they didn't attend as they would have created a lot of interest judging from the number of people who were looking for a display from them.

Cheers,

Comment

lisa

firstlty, congrats on a great event.

secondly, in what class does bruce young run his car? (what are its basic specs)

thirdly, OJ911 was my first porsche - small world...

Comment

Well Done Lisa, Carl, Hugh and team,

Great organisation and the stand looked fantastic.

Made the other clubs look like a dogs breakfast. I'm sure Sunday was even better again.

Cheers

Stewart.

Comment

Will somebody please tell me they got a pic of Stewart's "119" ?!... and of Jock's car on Sunday...I had the perfect end to a terrible week when I dropped my digital camera on Friday night (late!) and it is now NFG...we had one camera between us and I forgot to take the lead to download to the laptop on Saturday so we were very limited for numbers of photos ops:

I feel awful....I really wanted to make sure we had pics of everyone's cars... :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by OBRUT
                          lisa

firstlty, congrats on a great event.

secondly, in what class does bruce young run his car? (what are its basic specs)

thirdly, OJ911 was my first porsche - small world...
                          Ryan,

Thanks for your good words!

Bruce's car is a 2.0L S...

Bruce runs in regularity races... quite a challenge in itself to run against the clock in a field of 55 cars. For those who don't know, for regularity trials the entrant nominates a time in which he/she can complete one circuit - ie a lap time. You must be as close as possible to this nominated time on each lap; very difficult if you get stuck in traffic etc.

Mike has asked Bruce to post about his experiences and requirements for historic regularity events. Unlike open racing, you don't need much to enter...I'll leave it to Bruce to explain in detail.

Cheers,

Comment

How hard did our committee and members work on Saturday?

I've already posted that everyone put in....really put in on Saturday (and Sunday too )....

Brett had sparks flying off his heels when we first got there...head down and butt up, setting up all sorts of things....

No wonder he needed a little snooze around midday - he deserved it!

And look - there's Stewart Kay's car in the background !
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X