Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillip Island Day 2

Well what a fantastic weekend at the Island

TYP901 was back at the Island in force today. Brett who had stayed overnight brought Chrissie and the kids along for a while - even though they had another function on that they eventually had to go to, Jill was there again with Phils blue car (or is that Jill's blue car now :?: :twisted: )
    Peter Williams made a return trip down for a second day as did Alex Webster, with the fantastic red 1967 S soft window targa, and Lisa and Mike with the cars they brought yesterday.
    Marcus Hancock brought "OJ" which created plenty of interest during the day and our ACT member Jock Campbell, who was crewing for an Alfa (don't hold that against him) brought his 1969T over to join our display. Hope to see you at the next historic meeting Jock.

As is usual for a Sunday there were lots more people and that meant lots more people came thru our display area. There were a number of inquiries about membership from owners of TYP901 cars as well as quite a few interstate Porsche Club and local and interstate Porsche enthusiasts dropping in to see what were were about / how we were going etc.

Again the display looked great. A couple of pics to follow. Due to the amount of foot traffic thru the display area there was less time to go thru the pits or wander around the car park although we all had some time to do that. We widow dropped a membership form and info on a number of cars in the car park today so if we did it to YOUR car and YOU are reading this as a guest on the board please consider becoming a member

Once again there was a fantastic sight with all of the cars in the pits and on the track. For those of you who have not been to an historic race meeting the atmosphere and friendliness is like a breath of fresh air compared to "modern" meetings. You are welcome to wander around the pits, the drivers and owners are usually very friendly and accommodating - especially for photos even to the extent of allowing kids to sit in the cars to have photos taken. the 30th anniversary of Historic Winton is on at the end of may and it would be great to see a few members up there.

Apart from the photos posted here I am starting an "off topic" post for pics of some of the fantastic and historic "non Porsche" cars at Phillip Island over the weekend. There were F1 cars from various eras 1930's GP cars, Indy cars , historic Australian cars ranging from Elfins and Brabhams through to "big bangers" and Group C touring cars and just about everything in between.
    Attached Files
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

The Historic race meetings are a fantastic opportunity to get up close and personal, both with people and cars. This is one of the few chances where you talk to drivers, owners and personalities, as I was moving through the pit garages admiring the Lola T610, owned by Peter Harburg, and driven by John Bowe, I bumped into JB literally and asked what the problem was in their first race today, he quite happily stopped what he was doing and told me they had a fuel pick up problem! TRY TO DO THAT at a V8 supercar meeting. The other person that I bumped into was Sir Jack Brabham who was more than happy to stop and spend some time with people, by the way he is looking better than he has for some time, in fact when asked his reply was I must be alright ,I'm still upright and above ground. After his era in F1 that is quite an achievement in it self.
    Attached Files

Comment

I will try to post tonight individual photos of all cars that went down there over the weekend as a part of the register display. Stewart Kay, I have to apologise as I have lost / overwritten/ deleted some pics and yours was amongst them ops: ops: . I think I have one with your car in the background so i will try to resurrect something from that. Hopefully someone else will have a pic and post it.
      Also Jock Campbell yours is not there because I plain forgot to take the Pic yesterday ops: . Again i hope someone else has a pic so they can post it (IT is the ACT plated car in our display on Sunday)
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh
        Here is one of Stewarts 901 and one of KYJ (with Julie)
        Attached Files
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Peter FANTASTIC I am glad you had a photo I cant work out what i did to mine - trying to download off the camera to the pc without being able to see the screen probably was not the cleverest thing to do ops:

I will post some more soon ( I will still do yours although I think your photo may be better)
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Our Cars at Phillip Island

As mentioned I thought I would post up a pic of all the cars at the display - Peter W has already kindly posted one of Stewart Kay's first customer delivery RHD 1965 2.0 car and his "KYJ" 1971 2.2T.
            Here are the rest except Jocks car from Canberra which we still need a picture for. Bruce Young's car has also been posted elsewhere as a competitor
            Attached Files
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

more
              Attached Files
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Early 911S Register #776