Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Welcome Cameron.

I checked out that engine. They state its a 74/75 engine but then say its a 73/74. Sounds a bit suss. Wonder if the engine No checks out as a genuine RS engine. Would also want to see the case stamp too to make sure it hasnt been played with.

pls post pics of your car in "Show your Ride".
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I had a quick look at the ad too. Numbers add up as 665 prefix on an engine number is 1975 2.7 Carrera. Engine type 911/83 is 2.7 Carrera.

I read the ad to say that this engine is a good substitute for a 73/74...not that it is a 73/74:

This engine would make an excellent substitute for a genuine 1973/74 RS vehicle or also for the purposes of a RS replica build.
      Cheers,

Comment

Whats every one think? Is that a fair price? Is a later 74/75 RS engine as desirable as a 73? Could you build a 2.7 RS spec engine for that price? Does the snob factor matter here? "oh' its not a real 73 RS engine". My 2.4 to 2.7 rebuild cost more than this engine but it was in desperate need of a rebuild in the first place.
        Besides, I still get to keep a matching number engine. But then again I wouldn't mind a 'Real' RS engine.

Comment

So Brett ?

building a twin engined 911 too are we ??
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Not to sound too ignorant, but isn't a '74 RS engine actually 3.0 litres. So, its potentially only a '73 RS replica engine.

So, I guess, the question is : how different is a stock '74/75 2.7 litre engine from an original 2.7 RS engine? As I would think we have to assume, since we are not told otherwise, that it has been rebuilt to RS specs- or are we meant to assume that?

Comment

i think 15k is a good price for a 2.7RS spec engine - but only if you know/trust etc whoever did the "complete overhaul" after it sat for 26 years. otherwise, you have to factor in the extra cost of a teardown/reassembly by someone you do.

i think it would be impossible to build one from scratch for that money.

i don't think the number is an issue - 73RS engines are no different from 74/75 Carrera engines.

Comment

If it sat for 26 years without anyone at least turning it over regularly, then it does need to be torn down again to check all the bearings and seals.

Bit of a pig in a poke I think.

Oh yeah, its on eBay, so it must be OK, right ??
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by JD
                  Not to sound too ignorant, but isn't a '74 RS engine actually 3.0 litres. So, its potentially only a '73 RS replica engine.

So, I guess, the question is : how different is a stock '74/75 2.7 litre engine from an original 2.7 RS engine? As I would think we have to assume, since we are not told otherwise, that it has been rebuilt to RS specs- or are we meant to assume that?
                  Justin,

The wording of the ad is a little misleading. This engine is a Euro spec (what we would call "rest of world") 2.7 Carrera engine. They are exactly the same spec as an RS Carrera engine. The 2.7 Carrera was made for 2 years only, 1974 and '75. These were the big bumper cars as were all production road 911s from 1974. This is no replica - it's the real deal, but from a post 1973 production car. Not many were imported here at all...and the US spec ones did not have this engine - the US spec engines are basically a 911S 2.7 engine similiar to what is in our blue car. The US spec engines run C.I.S. (K-jetronic) injection. This engine and all Euro spec ones run MFI. These were the last of the MFI production engines.

I agree with Ryan - history on the rebuild is necessary and no there is no way these days that you could duplicate this engine for the money.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by JD
                    Justin
                    There are 74 RS engines (which this is NOT) and engines like this one that were used on 1973 RS's (type 911/83) and so called Euro Carrera's in 1974 and 1975. They had the G series body but the identical engine to the 73RS.
                    The 74 RS engines were 3.0l - mainly type 911/77 which not only had aluminum cases for strength given the limits they were stretched to but were very different to this 2.7 mag case engine. Also they "only" had about 230bhp at 6200 rpm not much more than the "standard" RS

The RSR's from 74 and 75 ran 911/74 and 911/75 engines (as did some 1973 RSR's which were also 3 litre cars) All of these were also aluminum case for strength and totally different to the stock 911/83 RS engine. The 911/75 engine made about 330 bhp at 8000rpm

Originally posted by JD
                    So, I guess, the question is : how different is a stock '74/75 2.7 litre engine from an original 2.7 RS engine?
                    HOWEVER the 911/83 engine is massively different to the standard 74/75 2.7. these were detuned from 73 and made about 150bhp at 5700 for the standard car and 175 for the "S" Much different from the 911/83 engine that was used on the RS and the "carrera" for 74 and 75 (except the US carrera which was a badged "S")

So apart from the year number in the serial number there is nothing different between this RS engine for sale and one that went into (most of) the genuine RS's. I say "Most of" as there is evidence that "special cars" ie destined for competition/ rallying etc or some other special purpose had aluminium cased 911/83 engines.but that is another topic

EDITED TO FIX FORMATTING
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Same guy has a 74 carrera for sale on E Bay it sure looks good.

OOps just re-checked different world sorry about that. Check out the Carrera anyway

Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Engine didn't even get a bid.

I emailed him and he wanted $18K for the engine to end the auction.

And you just have to check out his other auctions. Once I saw the 914/6 (cabriolet) he had for sale, I really started to wonder about the engine.....

Sorry, I called it a cab.

its really a Speedster.

I think this guy is selling it 'cause he bought the 917 off eBay.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
                        X