TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a '65 901 be a daily driver? Yes.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a '65 901 be a daily driver? Yes.......

Dear crew,

Thought I'd share my recently concluded views on the above. Tonight's McLaren Vale shiraz made me do it.

I've been terrorising the Kew/Hawthorn/Toorak area all this week in SA119 which I've pressed into daily driver duty.

My normal daily driver, my 968 ClubSport is at the shop and the 901 has been garnered into daily use on my commute to work on Kings Road.

Observations:

FUEL: I've knocked off 3/4's of a tank in the commute this so far week- the ClubSport will go through a tank every two plus weeks, normally. Fuel efficiency is poor in these old jiggers, and is directly proportional to frequency and vigour of throttle depression.

REVS: sometimes tiresome and always (good) noisy, the car needs revs to run and whilst it copes admirably you do need to clear it's throat regularly at high RPM....just like the doof doof WRX brigade, only you do really NEED to do this.

COMFORT: the window wind mechanism is a great air-con substitite, who needs climate control in our Melbourne weather this week when the windows magically recede into the door frames?

MULTIMEDIA: the AM Blaupunkt developed a mind of it's own years back and hence no longer delivers the joy of ABC radio.....the Messerschmitt staccato engine note more than makes up for this....see "REVS" above.

PACE: yet to be out manouvered....gear 1 and then gear 2 and 3 in a liner plane in the 901 'box are great for 'round town racin'.....or for 5 MPH whilst traffic meandering home, more the reality.

COMPLIANCE: Glenferrie Road realy highlight's that a 968 ClubSport fitted with the M030 option was designed with the billiard table tarmac of Bathurst (or any other track) in mind. Here the 901's lovely composure and compliant ride shines, although I can't center the 5 1/2 inch rims of the 901 across the tram tracks for a smother ride like I can in the ClubSport, as each time I've tried in the 901 the first undulation encountered has jettisoned us all off into the oncoming lane......not ideal.

TRUST: starts on the button; stops when pressed, as the non-alert _______ (insert own pet-hate car) driver emergency brakes due to non-attentiveness; easliy darts through traffic; reliably gets from A to B......

STYLE: received longing looks (car not pilot) from an otherwise bored looking brunette in a black 996 cabrio yesterday. Enough said.

CONCLUSIONS: Yes, one can EASILY drive a 901 daily. Smiles per mile is high and despite some of the perceived drawbacks above, you lock the door as you leave the car with a grin. After almost 15 years together (!!) each drive in SA119 is still an Occasion with a capital "O".

Isn't it this end result that makes bearing traffic all the more worthwhile?

So, if you're Eastern Suburbs ensconced and we cross paths, honk/flash high beam/Steve McQueen-esque "V" finger me, as you see me zip past over the coming few days.......

Cheers

Stew.

stew,

how did the oil temperature cope yesterday arvo when driving home in near 36 deg heat ?

That's got to be one of the few drawbacks of comuting in an early car, especially in city traffic. I found that out a few times and hated the damage I felt I was inflicting on the engine.

But the brunettes obviously make up for these small problems.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

You forgot to add the time factor it takes to wring out sweat soaked clothing generated by vinyl seats, little ventilation and hot weather.

Comment

Stewart

Welcome to the wonderful (usually) world of commuting along Toorak and similar roads in an early car.
        I do it every day - down Toerag rd to the city.
        The only drawbacks I can see are the fuel consumption as you mention and the fact that it is best to travel slightly off peak - ie finish the journey in the morning before 7.30 am and not start the one in the evening until after 7PM

The fuel consumption goes up incredibly high - too much first and second gear :cry:
        (I only get 220 miles out of an 85 litre tank if it is all commute between Kooyong and the city :cry: :cry: )

I don't have any trouble with the temps - oil or personal in the car and apart from a few concerns about someone coming out of Left field on Kings way etc and hitting the car I have no worries about the traffic.

The extra torque of my engine makes life a lot easier than in a 2 litre but I think the driving experience is similar 8)
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Working...
        X