Facelift for bumper rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facelift for bumper rubber

I have an ongoing issue with the rubber strip between the front bumper and the bodywork continuing to come unstuck.

Is there a trick to stop this from happening? It is currently being glued along the upper surface, with the lower surface free but in contact with the bumper.

Any tips or adhesive recommendations would be appreciated as it is driving me nuts when it pops out and sags...

cheers

Hmm sounds to me like you need to adjust the bumper up slightly higher as it is supposed to hold the rubber in place as much as any contact adhesive that you might use

You need to loosen the 4 bolts in the trunk and also the side bolts near the tyres and have someone push the bunper up while you tighten the bolts in the trunk then tighten the outside. Ther is quite a bit of room for up and down movement

It can be done on your own but its not easy.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Cheers for the tip

Comment

I never use contact adhesive, the originals were attached with a 3M adhesive tape and thats what I used again after thoroughly cleaning an old rubber and the metal it was attaching too

I find their tapes hold much better than the contact adhesive I have been able to by K and N is the best i have found, can't tell you what tape it was 3M office not far from my home so i went there and took what they gave me.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

yeah i think i need to remove all the old glue and start again, including adjusting the bumper

Comment

Working...
          X