Cayman S testing vs. early 911 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cayman S testing vs. early 911 ???

I had the opportunity of 2 hours seat time in a Cayman S today courtesy of PCM. It was a near std 6-spd manual. I was keen to see if it was the new "drivers Porsche" that the write ups have been claiming. Also very keen to make the comparison with a good handling early 911.

I drove my '72 E to the showroom so I would have an immediate comparison as I sat in the Cayman.

First impressions? you sit lower and feel a bit more "cramped' than our early 911's The centre console rubs against your left leg and you need to mess about a bit with seat position, steering wheel rake and tilt, seat height, to get comfortable. I felt the interior to be less airy than our cars with a potential blind spot over yr left shoulder, although the left mirror seems to cover that area reasonably well.

Other impressions: a bit plasticky in some areas although I am sure all new Porsches are the same these days.(gimme a bakelite gear shift knob any day). Aircon works VERY well, front visibility is also good but cant see the front edge of the car. Just a hint of the wheel arch bulges to give that 911 feel.

gearbox is excellent, light and shifts fast, pedals are really nice for heel/toe (thanks Walter Rohrl), steering - well I'm still getting used to it but doesnt give me the feel I like in the early 911. handling and grip appears to be more than adequate but i need a few hours in the twisty stuff to really get used to it. Alex, another run soon ??

But the overwhelming thing you really notice is the exhaust note. Its low and loud and lets you know whats happening out back. if you step on it and wind it up, then it really starts to sound interesting.

Seats (std leather ones) were surprisingly comfortable although look very "flat" when you first see them. side support is OK but probably the Sports seat option is the go for spirited motoring.

it 'seemed' to go as hard, if not harder than a good 2.4 or 2.7 early car, but I realised I wasnt really pushing it hard. Spinning it up to the red line (7200) started to make a lot more things happen. Its obviously a lot more refined and quieter than our cars so maybe the impression of speed and acceleration was a bit lost. I had the windows up an AC on so maybe I was a bit cocooned?

I am sure its quicker than our cars but I tend to like the more raw feel of the old, no powered-assist cars which are lighter and, I think, more agile than this car. I am sure Mr. Rohrl would amply demonstrate who was quicker and agile over the twisty bits, but that was an initial impression.

Would I buy one at around $155,000 ? the 2 seats only is a real drawback, even though I am mainly in my current 4 door daily driver alone. But I could easily drive it in traffic and around the city (I did today).

If Porsche offer the lease deal of the century at 1% interest, than maybe. but it still is a lot of cash when you think how many early cars you can get for that.

Come to think of it, you can probably get ONE good early car for that these days.........

Hey Clyde !
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

C'mon Phil, do you honestly think that Porsche would make a car that would only be as quick as a 2.4S or 2.7RS?!?!
    Like all new cars that are well set up, it does not feel fast!
    Do a lap or two on a track though and see what the times are.
    I remember flying around Sandown in the 996TT and it was easy. 250 kmh down the main straight without even trying, braking points far beyond what I was used to in a 356 or early 911.
    We all love our early 911's, they have their charm, charisma, and nimble handling, however at the end of the day, it is like Lionel Rose vs Mike Tyson, it would be a great spectacle, but in the end you know that Tyson is going to land the knock out punch! Bigger, meaner, stronger, or in car terms, more grip, more horsepower, and better chassis!
    How I would love to beat a new Cayman, but I am sure in the right hands, it would kick the butt of a early 911 in any situation!
    For sheer fun though - I am with you - an early 911 everyday of the week
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Yeah Alex, I was probably very insulated inside this car with AC humming and didn't really appreciate how quick it was.

But hey, isn't that all part of the fun of the early cars ?

I am still reserving my final judgment until I can take it quickly over familiar roads (sth Gippsland ???) to test it out.

I am also looking forward to my 4 days in Germany with a new 997 where i hope to get better acquainted with the "modern Porsche" . perhaps I have become a bit too jaded driving all these old cars around ??
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

presumably that's unless you change your mind and hire a Cayman instead though ??!!!

(ps am very jealous !!!)

Comment

I dont think they offered me a Cayman for hire but I might just check. But I think the 997 is faster and they gave me such a great deal ! 600 euros for 3 1/2 days. Normally 450 euros a day.

Am looking forward to some quick blasts on the autobahns.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Reading this thread reminds me of a quote I used in describing Ian Hamilton's RSR....

For its time the RSR was incredible. It captivated me. Newer, more advanced cars might be more capable and efficient but the Hamilton RSR exuded sheer charisma and spectacle.

This is what we seem to love about the old cars.... they mightn't be as fast and useable and so utterly capable and efficient but they are are captivating little beasties... and make you feel like you''re doing 100mph when you're only doing 75!

Justin R
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
            X