Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandown 13th March

Hi everyone,
    for those that are bored or want to come and have a look, Marcus and myself are running at Sandown tomorrow (13th).
    Starts at 9am, and goes till about 4pm.
    We should be well at the rear of the pack but will have more fun!
    Hope to see some of you there.
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

how'd you go?

Comment

Had a great time. Andrew Vidler turned up to give moral support and let down the tyres of some of the 911's that we wanted to pass - JOKING!

First run was slghtly wet - not raining, but track was declared wet.
      Best time for me was 1.41 with Marcus slightly behind that at around 2 minutes.

Rest of the day the track was drying out and getting better.
      Best time for me was a 1.32 and Marcus with 1.35. Marcus was running radials and I was on R's so there should be at least 2-3 seconds there. Amazing how close they are in speed and ability. Very amusing for the both of us as we hauled in 944's and 911SC's down the straights and in the twisty's! They just shook their heads and admiring our old cars and what we could do with them.

All round great run, and good to see that our old cars can match it with about 30-40% of the field. Best time of the day was a 1m 15sec by a GT2 Race Car, however most of the field were in the 1m 20's and 30's.

There were around 70 competitors, with no one having a major 'off'.
      I did spin on the first warm up lap, even at slow speeds and cold R's, on a wet track, there was NO GRIP!!

I took video of the whole day from inside the car, as well as one facing backwards and Marcus chasing me. All up 1.70Gb of video!!!!
      Will try and get it to burn to DVD today and see what it looks like on the big screen

I recommend all 901'ers to think about doing such days. You don't need much and you are grouped with like cars where available. There is no passing in the corners or under brakes, only on the straights. Not only is a lot of fun, but you get to experience your car and learn what it can and cannot do! Just ask Marcus as he lost it and did three spins just off the back straight - sorry mate I had to bring it up! Just wish I had it on video :p

Next event for us is the MSCA event at Phillip Island on the 23rd of April. Hope to see some people down there.
      Alex Webster

Comment

well done guys - good to see some track work on this site

alex - was this your 66?

Comment

No I had the yellow 356 out, the one with the 911 motor.
          Quite funny to see guys after they have been hauled in and overtaken by a 356, as until they come over they don't realise that it is a 6!
          Having said that I am driving the 356 pretty hard to get them, but it is still amusing!!! A 968 driver was headless that they let me off in front of him at the start, and after it he was said - "I never say you again!!"
          Similar to what Nick had in the Red 356 which was the sister car of ours.
          The 66 should be ready sometime late April early May - fingers crossed. But will historic race and rally, as well as sprints. So it will be well sorted after 12 months when it does its first Targa event.
          Alex Webster

Comment

What I did forget to mention was that Ian Henderson had his 911R there, the 67, as well as a couple of 1973 cars, one that had a 3.6 litre motor in it. Funny that Marcus kicked his ass though with the 2.7 in his 2.2.
            So there are some early cars out there racing, just not active on this board (in Melbourne anyways).
            Alex Webster

Comment

Love to go sometime but not good enough or brave enough me thinks!!!
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

clyde

club sprints are about the safest form of motorsport i can think of:

cars are seeded with cars doing similar lap times;
                very low track density;
                passing is rare and usually confined to the straights;
                only lap times are measured not position so there is no motivation to outbrake/corner etc anyone; and
                no trees.

you can just drive around at your own pace and there is usually instructors available. i think they're a great idea given the 'unusual' handle characteristics of these cars.

so long as you keep your head - bravery or skill shouldn't really enter in to it.

Comment

Hmmm....keep my head you say. perhaps when the 69S is club registered etc I might venture out.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

That a boy Clyde - pucker up!!
                    I agree with Ryan, club days are a great way to get into the whole track scene, as well as get some decent drive time with your car at high speed.
                    We topped out at about 200 kmh which was quite acceptable for our cars, but as Ryan said, you can go as fast, or slow as you like.
                    If you pass in a corner or under brakes, you will be hauled before the CAMS stewards, so it is all very fair and non-pushy.
                    The 69S would be a great car to learn to drive quickly, being very rewarding, and loving to rev.
                    Next sprint for us is at Phillip Island... anyone interested contact Marcus or myself. THE MORE THE MERRIER!!
                    Alex Webster

Comment

Working...
                    X