Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picklex Buy

Hi All

Some of you may be following my resto thread and picked up the fact that there is a brilliant product in the States called Picklex20... http://www.picklex20.com Google it for some uses/opinion. In short it is a 'rust eater' and metal conditioner, but unlike everything else I've found, it does not require rinsing with water. You spray it on, work it into the metal with a scouring pad and then let it dry. You just scuff it before laying epoxy (you don't use etch primer). You can effectively leave bare metal in a dry location for months without it rusting. It's also really nice to weld metal treated with it.

The stuff runs about $75 a litre (but comes in pint/quart/gallon containers). There is no distributor here (business opportunity) and it requires a direct buy from the States. The manufacturer's direct site only offers the seriously expensive UPS shipping (about $120 for quart/litre!) Seriously ridiculous

Autobodyforums http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=RCAC has an online shop and using them to buy the product allows you to specify USPS (normal mail), and this still runs about $25 shipping for a quart. Anyway I've emailed to check out shipping for a gallon container with a view to decanting into litre/quarts as I think this will be a better proposition.

So all you out there with metal projects, if you're interested in some let me know and I'll work out the economics. If I was to order it, I think I can get it to PI on a mates race car trailer (don't think I can bring it on the plane). And I know there's a few people driving between Melbourne and Sydney for PI - so maybe it's logistically possible to get a quart or two to everyone that wants some? I won't promise anything, and if it's all too hard I'll run and hide, but it can't hurt to make the enquiries

PS 1 quart left me just short of my needs (thus this buy), but Classic got his job done with a single quart... I definitely over-used it
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

hi john

will buy some. There was also an EBAY vendor for this on the US site

Comment

Hi John

You can put me down for two litres please.

cheers

Comment

i will take a litre John.

BTW how much room does your mate's trailer have? (if you know what I mean? )
        Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vidler View Post
          i will take a litre John.

BTW how much room does your mate's trailer have? (if you know what I mean? )
          Yeah, I know what you mean I've asked and will receive an answer hopefully this week. Trailer is only small and will have a rather expensive Ralt on board. I'm hoping the tow vehicle will be his F truck but as the load is light he may be using a less thirsty option with less load space...
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

John,

How toxic is this stuff.

If it's a "lifed" product and needs refrigeration, then dry ice is probably needed, & it's probably a controlled substance, hence they really restrict what planes it flies on, only a freighter for instance.

Could be why the freight is expensive, cheaper freight might get bumped?

Just my 2c
            Marcus
            TYP901 Member #81
            1972 911E

Comment

Marcus, I think you're right...

I just got an email back from Len on the Autobodyforum, his shipping quotes are now the same as Picklex's. A gallon is well over $200 to deliver and that's simply too much to make this idea worth while.

If anybody has a distributor 'mate' that might like to explore this product - I think it would be worthwhile, but it's not my game

Sorry guys

Now I guess I'm back to Ospho and water...
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

John have you sussed out POR15?
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                  John have you sussed out POR15?
                  Just not the same stuff...

Normal phosphoric acid solutions (including all the big names) require a flush of water after treatment as most refinishing systems won't stick over the acidic finish. This is fine for doors, hoods etc, but not convenient to double layered and boxed monocoques.

I must sound like an ad, but Picklex does not need to be washed off, only wiped down whilst wet and allowed to dry. That makes it really convenient and so far, unique.

Can't seem to find and sort of locally available copy.
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

bugger - the cost

Hi John

took up your suggestion and have just been speaking with Picklex20 people around doing a larger shipment to Australia - waiting on some details to see how feasible it would be.

There are emant to be some alternate products in US though likely still need to be flushed afterwards.

Comment

Hi Michel

It would be great to see this product freely available here!

Unlike most consumables like oils and fluids, it's mostly going to be a 'one of' buy for the average bloke/lass doing a project. BUT when you consider the pimply Commodore hoons, hotrodders, ricers, and vintage resto guys out there it's a big market (relatively speaking).

I'm certainly happy to participate in any alternate shipping ideas And I will probably explore the guy selling pints of it on Canack eBay... maybe he can ship at a better cost.
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

John

If there is enough interest, I'd split the shipping cost if there is demand for a gallon or 2 and we can decant smaller amounts. Shipping would work out at about $50 a quart? How much is the product per gallon without shipping?
                        Jeff Eelkema
                        TYP 901 #132
                        S-Reg #1431
                        69E (project)
                        various bevel Ducatis
                        60s Vespa

Comment

$142 US per gallon plus $220 shipping = $90.50 per quart for a $36 product!

I emailed Len again and he is checking with the manufacturer to see if a better price is possible... hopefully he'll get back to me soon.
                          John Forcier
                          Restoration Saga

Comment

Is shipping for 2 gallons twice as much or just a bit more?
                            Jeff Eelkema
                            TYP 901 #132
                            S-Reg #1431
                            69E (project)
                            various bevel Ducatis
                            60s Vespa

Comment

Two gallons $280 plus $350 shipping = $79 per quart

Could be effective?
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X