Window regulator removal and replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window regulator removal and replace

Passenger side surprise, surprise has a stuffed window regulator how do I get it out and how do I replace it???
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Recently pulled mine for the repaint.

You'll need to loosen and remove the frames (or at least pull them a fair way out) - the allen bolts on the forward and aft ends of the door. Remove your door cards and you'll be able to see the 3-4 bolts securing the regulator. You'll also see how to remove the glass, there's two 'lugs' that fit in a slot and hole arrangement. You need to take the glass out. Regulator then comes out through the large aperture in the door.

Clear as mud?
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Clyde, you may need to rebuild it as used regulators usually have the same problems. Remember your passenger side used to be drivers side and got the most use.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
        Clyde, you may need to rebuild it as used regulators usually have the same problems. Remember your passenger side used to be drivers side and got the most use.

this used to be the passenger side and is now drivers side.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

So is it now the LHD drivers side or RHD passenger side ? Maybe they also swapped the doors around during the conversion ?
          There's that darned LHD/RHD argument creeping back in there again.....
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Its the RHS of the car I have worked on it this afternoon and when you wind the window instead of the plastic guides sliding along and the window going up the arms want to twist which stops the guides from sliding and hence the window is very difficult to move

I don't think its anything to do with the frame as there isn't really any adjustment there except a bit on the angle on the door lock side.

Maybe the sliders are stuffed or something else is causing them to not slide properly.

Anyone got any clues???

Door swap Phil.........think about it not possible.
            Last edited by Terminator; 25-02-11, 05:50 PM.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
              Its the RHS of the car I have worked on it this afternoon and when you wind the window instead of the plastic guides sliding along and the window going up the arms want to twist which stops the guides from sliding and hence the window is very difficult to move

I don't think its anything to do with the frame as there isn't really any adjustment there except a bit on the angle on the door lock side.

Maybe the sliders are stuffed or something else is causing them to not slide properly.

Anyone got any clues???

Door swap Phil.........think about it not possible.
              Can you adjust the angle of the glass somehow that I can't see as that is the problem I think binding in the channel on one side while nearly out of the channel on the other side.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

You can certainly adjust the alloy frames in the door - which should in turn adjust the glass angle...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                  You can certainly adjust the alloy frames in the door - which should in turn adjust the glass angle...
                  How as they bolt in the same place very time so I can't figure how they can be adjusted??
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Clyde,

My understanding is you have to fit and tighten the frame in a specific order to ensure proper operation of the window.

1. Lower rear most bolt

2. Next lower one at the back of the quarter window

3. Next lower one at the front of the door.

4. Back of door just above the lock

5. Back of door at the top

6. Front of door middle one

7. Front of door just under the quarter window

8. Last one at the back of the quarter window.

Sorry if you already know the order of things, but i found this out after trying to fix a window that would get stuck half way up.

Tony

Comment

Not sure about 911s but most cars I have worked on have some adjustment in the bolt holes for the regulator that allows some movement.

Another possible issue is excess fore and aft movement between the glass and frame due to wear in the channel rubbers and or incorrect adjustment of the frame. This allows the glass to tilt a bit which in turn causes it to jam. On some jobs I resorted to using shims between the door and window frame to close up the clearance.
                      Jeff Eelkema
                      TYP 901 #132
                      S-Reg #1431
                      69E (project)
                      various bevel Ducatis
                      60s Vespa

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                        Clyde,

My understanding is you have to fit and tighten the frame in a specific order to ensure proper operation of the window.

1. Lower rear most bolt

2. Next lower one at the back of the quarter window

3. Next lower one at the front of the door.

4. Back of door just above the lock

5. Back of door at the top

6. Front of door middle one

7. Front of door just under the quarter window

8. Last one at the back of the quarter window.

Sorry if you already know the order of things, but i found this out after trying to fix a window that would get stuck half way up.

Tony
                        News to me so thanks I'll follow that order if I can get the bloody window to stay straight to start with in a totally loose frame.

Gees I hope it wasn't trial and error that got you to that point!!!
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                          Not sure about 911s but most cars I have worked on have some adjustment in the bolt holes for the regulator that allows some movement.

Another possible issue is excess fore and aft movement between the glass and frame due to wear in the channel rubbers and or incorrect adjustment of the frame. This allows the glass to tilt a bit which in turn causes it to jam. On some jobs I resorted to using shims between the door and window frame to close up the clearance.
                          Found the adjusting bolt that allows the window to tilt one way or the other.

Problem is I think that the arms on the regualtor may be bent as this obviously hace been a problem for a whwile and forcing the window down and up again may have cause this distortion.

Looks like only way to find out is put a perfect working one from the 69 in to see what happens...a pain but lucky I can do that before buying and wasting money on a new regulator that isn't the cause!
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

A little bit of trial and error until I got the work shop manuals.

I just checked it for you and the earlier post is correct in the order that they say to do them up. As Jeff said there is a small amount of adjustment in the bolts.

For your reference the fitment of the window frame is in the body section of the factory manuals.

I just checked MY69 window regulators and both arms are straight.

Tony

Comment

RHS for sale

Seems that a few folks have problems with this item in their car. I have a spare right hand side glass winder mechanism, very good condition, spring pivot not broken. How about $75,- plus shipping? Sorry for the louzy picture, LHS just sold. Best regards, Cees
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X