X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSTALL

Hi guys,

here's a real easy one.

I bought a new extinguisher at REPCO today. A QUELL 1KG with metal mounting bracket. Its CAMS approved (as a 1 Kg type - check if you may need to have a larger capacity one for different events). I just wanted some peace of mind in case the worst happens. Cost was $32.99.

I went to mount it and surprise, surprise ! The existing holes in the metal bracket align EXACTLY with the 2 rear holes on the inspection plate on the rear floor tunnel . I just unscrewed the 2 long self tappers, added an extra flat washer for strength and screwed it in. it seems they hold the bottle very firmly once clipped into place, allows the spring clips to open still to access the bottle and took all of 5 mins !!

You MAY need to swap over to longer self tappers if your are short and add the flat washers and also check that the screws are holding well into the tunnel area as the extinguisher bottle adds a lot of extra weight for the screws to hold down in the event of a prang.

This seems to be a very simple way to add in an extinguisher and it doesn't get in the way for back seat passengers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by e72phil; 29-06-06, 12:25 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Thanks for sharing this tip Phil - did the same installation yesterday and it was as easy as you described. As handy as the US forums are it's great to have an Australian tech resource.
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Bump.

Comment

I did this in my 70E...works great, FE stays out of the way, but close enough should you need it.

Here's a question for the guys w/ orig. cars.

The grate (not sure what it's official name is) on my 70E vents air to the
        outside. The pic on Phil's is different. Anyone know what part mine is missing ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris,

whilst the grate on my 72E looks like it vents, I think its actually sealed off. Otherwise you can get some oily smells coming from the tunnel area if your gear selector seal leaks (many do). I think this may have originally been vented but became sealed later.

i just fitted a FE to my '78 930 tonight and noted that the cover is just plain (not slotted or vented) and is under the carpet rather than on top like earlier cars.

Maybe other have some comments ?

BTW, what do you think of this new forum software ? same as Early S I think and lots more features eh ?
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil

BTW, what do you think of this new forum software ? same as Early S I think and lots more features eh ?
            New forum is great, much easier to post pics. Nice work !

Comment

73 on flat grate with crinkle finish like the seat recliner mechanisms.

before that slotted, closed and painted semi gloss.

Hi Chris yess it is good isn't it. Did you mag arrive yet?
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator
                73 on flat grate with crinkle finish like the seat recliner mechanisms.

before that slotted, closed and painted semi gloss.

Hi Chris yess it is good isn't it. Did you mag arrive yet?
                Ok, so does anyone know what part my 70E is missing? I have the flat grate
                w/ the little screen, but no seal. Anyone know what part I'm missing.
                I dont have a PET, so no diagram

Clyde, no mag yet, but I have not checked the PO Box in a few days...I'll
                swing by on the way home. The new site is really nice, you guys are doing
                a great job !

Comment

Did the same exercise 3 weeks ago but have a flat no grill plate on mine and the screw holes aligned vertically rather than horizontally ala Phils.

Seems to hold OK all the same which given my technical expertise is a minor miracle.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X