• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand E - interesting

Worth a look - I have requested further pictures and history

Shane

Shane, planning on upgrading ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

SOLD already !

Apparently to a Sydney buyer. Shane did you buy it ?

Or maybe it will appear at a north shore dealers shop soon ?

I called them and they said there was lots of interest in the car, mainly from Australia.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Seller emailed me and said it went to a private Sydney buyer.

I asked him to forward my email details so we can see if they want to join the group. Hopefully they will.

Am keen to see the car and its condition. I think the seller priced it too low.

Bargains are around still!
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Guess what rolled out of a shipping container in Sydney today?
          Attached Files

Comment

The basic spec's are:

1973 2.4E
            signal yellow
            options: sunroof/rear wiper
            matching engine and gearbox numbers
            photo-documented bare metal resto about 10 years ago
            original RHD delivery (UK).

I'll try and put some more pics up in a few days.

Today has been a good day! Thanks to NT911 for giving me a hand picking up the car.

Apologies for the secrecy - I didn't want to jinx the deal...

Ps. Some guy yelled "cool car!" on the drive back to the workshop - that's always a good sign.

Comment

Hey guys, this is a gorgeous car... we where a little nervous as the container doors where opened, but it's absolutely perfect - I'm sure it'll be entered in the concourse this year!

Comment

you are a sly dog Ryan Curnick.

But seriously... CONGRATULATIONS!! With your knowledge and love for these cars I am sure its an absolute ball-tearer. Cant wait to see it, it looks beautiful. Justin and Dennis are planning a drive for late June, will you bring it?

PS Are you becoming a contender for the biggest early P-car collection on this board or what? Watch out Clyde, watch out Phil!

cheers

tonyc

Comment

Thanks Tony.

I really wasn't looking for another car as I had just bought the 70 911T to rebody as an early car and restore as a fun street car. The E will now fulfil that role and the T will shortly be on the market.

We'll have to catch up shortly so I can side by side it with yours - which I understand sets The Standard.

Maybe there's hope for me as a concourse junkie yet? Nah, but this one won't be going near a race track either...

Comment

Ryan

I have to echo the sly dog comments....

I have to ask the rude question.......What did you pick it up for..?? (If you don't want to tell fair enough!)
                    Cam Arnott
                    Looking for engine #6208151
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Good work Ryan, better here than in NZ!!!
                      I am sure you will have a blast with it... now you can make the trek down for the driver training in Melbourne to run it in!!!
                      Well done!
                      Alex Webster
                      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Well done Ryan a nice car....

Similar colour to your first 2.0E (Orange anyway).

Hope to see the car soon.

Justin R
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks for the kind words - I'll even take "sly dog" as a compliment!

As far as I can determine, here is the story on this car.

The car was originally delivered into the UK. It was then imported into New Zealand by an Auckland member of the New Zealand Porsche Club in about 1982. The car was in average condition and had been repainted white. That person had the car for few years, during which time I am informed that it mostly just sat.

It was then sold to another Aucklander who stripped the car to an empty shell, removing the engine, gearbox, glass, total interior, wiring loom, lights, fuel tank etc. I have some great pics of the totally stripped car. He had the whole car bead blasted, new panels fitted where needed and appropriate rust repairs carried out. The car was then fully repainted to the original factory signal yellow using epoxy two pack paint.

At that time the motor and gear box were stripped, checked and rebuilt. A new clutch was fitted along with new gaskets and seals etc. The original MFI fuel injection system was also overhauled. I have received a huge folder with all receipts and photos of the car during this restoration. The car was then reassembled with new door rubbers, new wiring loom, reconditioned fuel tank, new exhaust etc (ie. lots and lots of new bits and pieces).

The car was completed and, by all reports, looked beautiful. The car then had to be sold due to the owner’s wife/girlfriend/divorce etc issues…

The next owner (Mike) saw the car advertised, flew to Auckland and purchased it as soon as he saw it. Mike runs a classic car restoration business (The Surgery) in Wellington.

Mike thought it still needed some finishing to get it to his standard. He fitted new tyres, new shocks, new carpets, new rear seats belts, new front screen and rubber and then re-upholstered the seats. He also stripped and then fully undersealed the interior and rust proofed the car. He also fitted pressure fed chain tensioners, a new electronic ignition module, a short shift kit and a new high pressure fuel pump.

He has only done about 1500km in his 10 years of ownership. It has purportedly only been out in the rain once and lived most if its life under a car cover tucked away in a corner of his workshop.

I have been considering a 993 (even a Boxster S!) lately to replace the 930 as my regular driver but I’m really an early 911 person at heart. I saw the car advertised with one front on photo. I emailed and received a description and some more photos. I rang Mike and we discussed the car for over an hour. In all honesty, my head was saying get an inspection, whilst my heart was saying buy buy. I (and Phil!) thought it was quite underpriced, especially given the pounding the Kiwi dollar has been taking the last few months. I didn’t think it would last long enough for me to get an inspection arranged…

So, I took a punt and bought it sight unseen. I figured it was priced at a point where, even if I had to spend some dollars on arrival, it was still a cracking buy. A deposit was TT’d off into cyberspace that morning. All the early 911 buying rules were broken: No PPI, no conditions, no nothing.

Mike recommended his regular shipper and also provided great assistance prior to the shipping – absolutely above and beyond the call of duty. He called the shippers and made it clear that ‘his’ 911 needed to be treated with kid gloves. He transported the car to the container so it wouldn’t get dirty on the drive over. He helped load the car into the container and ensured it was properly secured into the container. Prior to delivery of the car to the shippers he also gave the car a good coat of wax for added protection, plus fitted a car cover when it was loaded into the container. He also drained the fuel, disconnected the batteries etc.

The car arrived and is in great condition. We connected the batteries and it fired on the first turn of the key and drove very nicely on the way to my mechanic's workshop. A major service is underway and we hope to have it rego'd soon.

Packed into the car were 2 new original 911E alloy and rubber sill moulding trims (the car has the optional 911S alloy trims fitted, 1 rear window wiper, 1 factory tool roll and 1 factory jack (in a custom upholstered bag so it doesn’t scratch the interior of the front compartment…). All previous paper work including history, photos and receipts etc was supplied with a workshop manual, together with a pile of service data information.

However, I can never resist a ‘little’ hot-rodding so the sport Recaro driver’s seat I have been hoarding will go in – together with a period correct SAAS (Aussie made!) sports steering wheel I have and some black Porsche side stripes. The car also has no radio and has no aerial hole in either fender. It currently has a CD player in the dash and some speakers in the rear side panels. I think I’ll remove those and go for the deleted dash look (I also have one of those IROC shift instructions decals stashed away somewhere…)

Ps. The colour: "Signal yellow". Anyone who knows me also knows that I absolutely DETEST yellow as a car colour. People are now somewhat bemused that I now appear to own a yellow car??? I assure you that it is a fairly orange-ish shade of yellow (yellow-ish shade of orange?)

Comment

ps: I posted some unloading days pics for the early 911S guys and gals

Comment

At least someone else in the world is brave enough to buy sight unseen without a PPI. So far my RS bought that was has nearly doubled in price, think I just sold the T this morning for a 30% gain...so it can be done.

On the other hand my 69S may turn out to be the scale balancer. Time will tell.

Great find Ryan learn to love yellow, its not any sort of shade of orange at all!!!!!!
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X