TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of Fred Ottes 1970 T (Qld member)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of Fred Ottes 1970 T (Qld member)

Thought I would share these pics of Freds car with the group. More info if your watching please Fred.
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

and some more
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President

Comment

Fred or Clyde

what type of steering wheel is that in the last pic?

Great looking car - I had a 2.2 70T until a few years ago - I loved it.
      Didnt have driving lights but had S split chin spoiler, tan leather standard seats otherwise virtually identical. It lives somewhere in Victoria these days, owned by John Hoey. I'm not sure if he joined Typ901, he was planning on it.

Is that 2.2 decal on the rear screen original or replacement? Would like to hear about the cars history Fred, I'm sure others would as well.

cheers

tonyc

Comment

Tony

John H is a TYP901 member (I think) and he displayed your old car at the 356 parade last November.
        He also owns a lovely MG TF which can be seen with John at the following link

Click on the 'Cope-Williams' folder. John and his MG are pictured in the top R/H photo.
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Tony

There's also a photo of your old 911T in the 'Marysville' folder
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Is the 70 911T a NZ registration?

Would be interested to hear some more about the history of the car.

Justin R
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I have spoken to Fred he will log and and answer queries soon.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

TonyC Steering wheel type

The steering wheel is the original 1970 911T steering wheel, however the rim of the steering wheel was restored with genuine leather which started as a very dark brown and has become lighter over time.
                Could have prevented this by rubbing in the correct oil to keep it looking good.

Comment

TonyC - Rear window 2.2 decal

Rear window decal
                  The original was badly discoloured back in 1989 when we purchased the car.
                  In 1970 & 71 this decal showing a sliver engine with a large orange "2.2" on it was located lower centre of the rear glass.
                  The photo was taken in NZ and since then I have had to replace the decal again as it does fade /break down after 4/5 years.

Comment

Fred,

Obviously you figured out how to get on board after Justin sent you another invitation.

Lisa, Justin, Hugh and Chuck Miller (USA member) did a lot of work to get the board format correct and I think they were successful.

Its sure a lot more user friendly and better than the Yahoo chat site!!!
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

TonyC & reedminor - History on 70 911T

Qld plate 682 HAJ, the Ivory 1970 2.2litre 911T (tourer)
                      The 70 911T was acquired by a a NZ Wellington Textile Businessman in settlement of a debt with a German textile company. I recall around 1970 you had to have overseas funds to buy in a foreign made vehicle in NZ.
                      Whilst John enjoyed the status, sound and thrill of the 911T as a company car, he soon moved on, after all it could only carry 1 adult passenger!
                      In 1973 a Wellington architect purchased the car and it was used as a daily driver for his business.
                      By 1987 the 911T had traveled 186K and was showing signs of age.
                      A young Christchurch executive purchased the Porsche however the dream became somewhat of a nightmare as the car required a top end rebuild, a gearbox rebuild and it has some rust in the doors, etc, plus it would stop every so often. (very embarrassing.)
                      During the winter of 1988 Fred had spotted the early 911T and thought about the pleasures and pitfalls of ownership. Research started mainly via books and some personal contacts. Nov 1988 the Otte family keen to pursue a new hobby fully evaluated the 911T and purchased the Porsche 911T.
                      By Christmas 88 the car was in pieces, and by March 1989 the car no longer existed as it was totally dismantled and scattered around various business on a path to total restoration. This was certainly a fantastic project to manage and to get the right price/cost the whole process just had to take its time.
                      By Easter 1993 the car was completed and in better condition than new.
                      The car attended most NZ South Island Porsche Club outings and was and still is a joy to drive. The car has been used for driver training days but to-date it has not been raced.
                      During the restoration process we did take advantage of numerous small modifications to enhance the cars maintenance, reliability and performance without detracting from its originality.
                      In 2001 the Otte family had the 2nd opportunity to immigrate to QLD, Aust so all that we could fit into a 40ft container was part of the deal with no 1 being the beloved 70 911T. Current mileage is 209K.

Comment

Working...
                      X