Project Gulf finally arrives home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Gulf finally arrives home

After many weeks of waiting for permits, sellers holidays, shipping, customs, engineers report, roadworthy and registration the new baby is finally home

The first thing I’m doing is getting rid of the lucky dip shifter and replacing it with a nice one from Phil.
    Then the interior needs a bloody good clean, BF Torino seats, new RS style door trims, re-install the cage then it’s of to the paint shop for a dash of gulf orange.
    A couple of the Fuchs a quite knocked around, one is ‘ok’ and one is super shiny.
    The super shiny one makes me want to rejuvenate the others. Any comments on reconditioning Fuchs?

Also a big thanks to Mike & Lisa for all the work they have done arranging everything required for registration.

Darren
    Attached Files

Welcome home Gulf 72!

God I love your garage!!!

Very happy that the new baby is home - now promise me; before you do anything else, you go drive "Gulf 72" and enjoy her for a while ! You have waited a long time Darren; go put some serious miles on her before "beaching" her again for wheel refurbishment etc. Mike and I want to see you and Melissa have some FUN first :lol: !

Thanks for your good wishes for today for me too...everything went very well (painkillers are wonderful things!)...should be fighting fit for Sunday's run to Grand Ridge I hope...

Cheers and go enjoy the new baby!

Lisa

Comment

I was thinking of you today Lisa so good to see you are in front of the computer at least.

Hope you cvan make it Sunday as planned we have a prospective new member and his family joinin us also.

Darren checked your car over at Spyder a few times hope you are pleased with your purchase and those improvements you mention will certainly make it look and function a lot better.

Now as Lisa said, time to get out on some TYP 901 runs in that baby
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I have to second Lisa comments on the garage!

I dream of a similar facility, only mine is fully air conditioned :lol:

I must say that colour grows on me each time I see it, great looking car.

And a couple of long weekends coming so more drive / play time!!

Enjoy, Darren
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Darren, hope your settling into Gulf 72 OK?

WOW, what a garage what more can I say? We need you to come down to put in some decorating suggestions for the new look Spyder!
          I am sure you will have a load of fun with the new toy, as everyone else has said, go and enjoy it!

Darren hope you can catch up with the other Geelong/Torquay 901 owners Michael and Haydn, if that is the same Haydn then I recon it would be about 22 years since I have seen him!

Clyde, I spoke to Graeme today seems there is a long standing family connection with Graeme and Lisa going back a long way so hopefully he will be there to talk to her about it Sunday.

Comment

Must echo the comments re the garage...

When is the playstation evening?

Might have to drive the green car down from Sydney for that one!

Must also echo the comments of the others Darren ... drive it, enjoy it and do bits and pieces as you go...

Justin R
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Echoing the above sentiments.....your new ride looks fantastic....so does the 993, and you should show your preferred oil brands marketing dept your shed - I'm sure that would fit nicely into an advertising campaign!

Comment

Congrats Darren.
                Saw it at Spyder too and had a bit of a peek (Mike told me off). Looking forward to having a proper look at a forthcoming event/run.

Also jealous of garage!

Andrew V
                Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

darren

a suggestion: you might want to have a cage manuf'r (eg. bonds) examine your roll cage when its out to determine: material, OD and wall thickness. if it meets CAMS spec then they may be able to certify it for competition (and give it a ROPS number). if it doesn't, then you may not want to reinstall it.

might save some hassle down the track if you ever try and logbook the car for competition.

Comment

Ryan

Thanks for the tip, the cage is very easy to get in and out, less than twenty minutes and you dont even need to take the seats out.
                    I have all the specs for the cage including all the bend radiuses, wall thickness and bolt specs.
                    The cage is homologated for race NZ but I doubt CAMS would count that for anything.

Darren

Comment

About the floor…
                      The garage was boring with the grey concrete floor and very hard to keep clean
                      Melissa’s stables are on the other of the shed so there was always a visible dirty ‘walking track’ between the two external doors of the shed.
                      I wanted to put something down that was easy to clean,so I started looking at the garage flooring systems from the US.
                      I really liked the race deck product but they were US$5 per tile

Tallying up the price for 144sq/m of the stuff plus edging and freight at it was over US$10K, no thanks
                      Walking through Bunning’s I found a stick down vinyl tiles in checkerboard pattern for 99cent each
                      I brought a box and parked the car on them for a few weeks, perfect
                      Now they’ve been down for over a year and still look like new, we have a gravel driveway so lots of dirt and grit gets on them, they just get a sweep/mop clean once a month or so and they look perfect again

Comment

Working...
                      X