Mr Upwey's 69S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Upwey's 69S

We recently purchased a slide scanner and converted about 1000 slides into jpg files and amongst them were some shots of our old 69S which we owned between 1980 and 1983. It was repainted Mexico blue by the PO (Gary Parnaby) and came with a Webasto sunroof which we had removed and replaced with a manual metal slider. It had the later model "S" spoiler and leather "comfort" seats. The motor was rebuilt by George Cairns in the late 1970's and it went like stink. When I sold it I believe it went to Sydney.

While the engine work waits pateintly to be completed I decided to get into gear on the Sunday and start the chassis restoration as planned

Got the first strut off, I am sending the alloy brakes to PMB in the states for a full refurb

Got the heater boxes done locally after buying some non rusty versions a few weeks back as they came out when the engien came out

Will have a spare set for sale when finished putting these back together.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Terminator; 10-06-16, 07:49 AM.
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Great photos peter

you don't have a record of what the chassis number was do you? just in case it turns up and these photos can be shown to a new owner
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
      Great photos peter

you don't have a record of what the chassis number was do you? just in case it turns up and these photos can be shown to a new owner
      Unfortunately not Hugh, however, I do know that it was an English import and originally red.
      Not sure how far George's records go back, but the only hope for such info would be either him or the PO
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901

Comment

My 69S was UK delivered (Nottingham if that rings a bell), was originally red (and is now), has rear wiper....and wait for it - there is blue paint (Looks like more like Mexico than the photos above) under rubber seal on passenger side door opening.... and it goes like stink!

Comment

...and came down from Sydney.

Comment

James, very interesting and exciting (for me)
            Could it be my former car?
            Does it have a manual sliding sunroof?
            Also when I purchased the car it didn't have the rear seat pads or backs, so I purchased some from Ken Foo and fitted them - and from memory the vinyl had a slightly different texture as they were from a later model - possibly a "72 or '73.
            Do you have any history of previous owners or registrations?
            Can you make it to our run next Saturday?
            Last edited by MrUpwey; 08-12-11, 01:14 PM.
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901

Comment

So Peter, I guess you hope to buy it back for $12,000 ??
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                So Peter, I guess you hope to buy it back for $12,000 ??
                Actually at the time I was pretty pleased with the deal. I purchased it for $12,000 in 1980 and sold it 3 years later for $13,500 - the price of a new 1983 BMW 318i.
                What's the relative value of an '83 318i vs a '69S now?
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901

Comment

Hi Peter, there is no sunroof and has standard front bumper. Interior has been retrimmed including headlining so can't see what is lurking under there (roof change etc).
                  From what I've been told, the car sat in the Blue Mountains since the early - mid 80s, prior to being restored to current condition.
                  A few points of interest in addition to above (to test your memory):
                  Has original switch (illuminated on end) for fog lamps but no fog lamps
                  Has period black and yellow switch coming from dash front, left of steering wheel near correct rear wiper switch.

Can't make this weekend unfortunately but welcome a catch up. Would be extremely exciting to piece together some of the last 43 years (including that of the car!)

Cheers

Comment

Grasping at straws here....two black dots to the right of the rear number plate on your photo - possible UK rear fog light which has since been removed? Spare black and yellow switch! Get back to me my dear Watson and quick!

Comment

Dont you love CSI: 911.

Someone should write a book. Hugh ?
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Peter,

Had a look again at the sill last night - and there is Mexico blue there - I can't imagine there are too many UK 69S in Australia that went from Red to Blue. Did yours have power windows? Mine does and I don't think they are a retro fit.

Comment

does anyone know if it is possible to ask vicroads for all the previous registrations you car has carried? or would that breach privacy laws?
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Or if they'd have record of Mr Upwey's VIN?

Comment

Originally posted by James 69S View Post
                              Hi Peter,

Had a look again at the sill last night - and there is Mexico blue there - I can't imagine there are too many UK 69S in Australia that went from Red to Blue. Did yours have power windows? Mine does and I don't think they are a retro fit.
                              Yes, it had power windows.....and I do remember the time I was pulled over by VicPol for a licence check and the windows would not open - copper thought I was being a smart arse (obviously a very good judge of character)
                              Christine Cairns has offered to search through their old records to see if they still hold any details (vin and engine nos.) of the car. I've just spoken with the PO (lives not far away in Kallista) and he has no vin details but said that when he purchased the car it was red and had the original steel front bumper with driving lights fitted - hence the switch on the dash. He replaced this bumper with a f'glass later "S" type. He also said that he replaced the front oil cooler with a non-Porsche cooler (possibly Ford) - so that may be another piece to the puzzle.
                              Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Working...
                              X