Car stalling under heavy breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car stalling under heavy breaking

I noticed over the Easter break that the car drops revs under heavy breaking with the clutch in and even sometimes stalls if the anchors are really on. :?

Its a 2.4 running webers.

Any thoughts as to the cause?

Cheers
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

cam

my car did this EXACTLY 2 years ago.

we thought it was a wire moving forward under braking momentum and shorting the iginition somewhere. however, after HOURS of trouble shooting (the evening before freighting the car to classic adelaide) we drained the tank and found a dose of bad fuel.

when i coasted to a stop the bad fuel sat on top of the good fuel and nothing happened. however, under heavy braking the fuels mixed and killed the engine.

i would try draining your tank - nothing lost if it doesn't fix it as you can just tip it back in!

Comment

Hi Cam,

The fuel tank is a good place to start as I also have had the same problem, only in a MFI car.

Sometimes it can be a low fuel level, as heavy braking can cause the fuel to rush to the front of the tank away from the pick up.

If you drain the tank the pick up can have a fine gauze mesh on the end and easily gets clogged. On the race car I removed it and put a good quality filter before the pump.

If this doesn't fix it, maybe the pump or carbs??

Hope this helps.

Cheers
      David Belford
      Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

Hi Cam,

The fuel tank is a good place to start as I also have had the same problem, only in a MFI car.

Sometimes it can be a low fuel level, as heavy braking can cause the fuel to rush to the front of the tank away from the pick up.

If you drain the tank the pick up can have a fine gauze mesh on the end and easily gets clogged. On the race car I removed it and put a good quality filter before the pump.

If this doesn't fix it, maybe the pump or carbs??

Hope this helps.

Cheers
        David Belford
        Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

cam,

like david mentioned - i have also stalled my race car under heavy braking when running a low fuel level fell (eg. about 1/8th). my RS rep is also a MFI car (david - do you think MFI is more sensitvie to low fuel levels?)

in any event, good luck and let us know what you find.

Comment

Well the tank came out the other day and I did find one of the screws from the sender unit inside.....The fuel seemed ok though.

However the problem with it wanting to stall under heavy breaking still seems to be there :cry:

I note the comments above about carbs and pump and might try to get another pump but any further hints on carbs?? Or anything else on this one.

Don't want to have a bad track day on Sunday :wink:
            Cam Arnott
            Looking for engine #6208151
            1970 911E (Sold)
            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
            X