Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete restoration threads

Hi all,

for those of you interested in following some extremely thorough restos on early 911's, you should check out these links:

'72 2.4S | Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

(This is a car done by Nick Moss in the UK).

this thread is followed on by 2 more which are linked on the last page of the first thread.

The pelican thread shows work all done by a private owner on his car. the pics of the rust and bad repairs uncovered are just amazing and should serve to warn many of us of what may lie underneath that car you are hoping to buy .

I hope you have a fast connection as you will spend hours just looking at all the pics in these threads.

Congrats to those guys who did such amazing work !
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Guys, I fixed the thread links so they all work now.

happy viewing.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

these are excellent threads, thanks Phil
      the UK 2.4S especially - what a fantastic car - and the thread is extremely interesting.

From the early911S site, try this more hands-on restoration of an early 912. http://members.aol.com/darryld/garage/index.htm

I must enroll for that evening class .... !!

Comment

I agree on these threads. Its a great opportunity for members to get a taste of what a full resto is all about (or you could ask Clyde), but he never took so many pics as these guys did or give the blow by blow description, which I think is very commendable on their part.

I hope other members take the time to read these thru to get the full appreciation of what a "rust free" car is all about. That's why we all seem to harp on this characteristic when buying an Early 911. You can see from the pics that our unfortunate friends in the UK and parts of north America have to deal with some pretty bad cars that have been patched up over the years.

It makes our near perfect climate down here such a wonderful place to nurture early Porsches !

Just recently whilst in Germany, I could see the frustration of some early Porsche owners who just would not risk taking their cars onto a salted winter road. They even had to wait for significant rains to cleanse the roads of salt before they would risk driving on them, such is the corrosive nature of it. the friends 996 I drove received a full body wash before I handed it back to him which included a serious high pressure wash underneath in the car wash I took it too. We are so lucky we dont have salted roads....

Otherwise we would be faced with the sort of challenges these guys had with the resto work they had to undertake. I reckon most of our cars have all the original panels on them. How good is that ? and what does that make them worth back in the UK ??
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Working...
        X