TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 911 Steering wheel fitment HOW TO ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'65 911 Steering wheel fitment HOW TO ??

All,

Tomorrow I'd like to fit a corrrect wooden early 911 steering wheel on one of my '65 911's. It currently incorrectly has a 912 steel/plastic rimmed wheel fitted with the correct non-winged horn ring....similar in fitting and size but incorrect nonetheless.

ADVICE NEEDED please : how to fit correctly.

It is possible to turn the horn ring counter clockwise to remove it, but from here I'm a little in the dark as to correct removal and refitting of the wood steering wheel. (from what I can see car and old/new wheel are "factory" original)

There is a large nut on the steering spline visible once the horn ring is removed and the steering column seems to have a graduated spline to fit the wheel onto.

Can anyone please confirm the correct method of disassembly of the old wheel and attachment of the orignal (similar) corrrect wood rimmed wheel.

Steering- yeah, is probably pretty important and not something I want to get wrong.......

Cheers and thanks

Stewart

Stuart,

Details please on the car you are fitting the wheel to...#4.

Chassis, pics, history if you have it...

Justin R
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Not sure on such an early car or a wooden wheel Stewart but on 69 up you just undo the nut you talk about and the wheel will pull off the spline. Repositioning is then just a bit of trial and error and some slow driving up and down your street

Clyde
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Done!

All done.....Clyde wins the lolly bag. Was quite simple in the end, I just ratcheted off the nut and reapplied the correct wheel. For some reason I envisaged it was more technical than this.

The car will debut at Flemington tomorrow weather permitting !

Cheers

Stewart.

Comment

As Billy Connelly once said "There's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothes"

Stewart
          What does weather permitting mean? Rain is made out of the same stuff that you wash your car with!!
          Just checked the radar - not muchh car washhing material about. - so we'll see you at Flemington
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Working...
          X