Camshaft Housing Oil Pressure Restrictors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft Housing Oil Pressure Restrictors

In reading Wayne Dempsey's book, How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche engines 1965-1989 I came across the section that mentioned changing the cam oil line adapter with a part with a reduced centre orifice. Apparently the part was changed on the Turbo engine's from 1991.

The benefit is supposedly reduced oil foaming in the crankcase allowing the scavenge side of the oil pump to transfer oil out of the crankcase and bank to the oil tank significantly faster. This maintains greater consistency in the oil tank level and generates more accurate oil gauge readings, and oil losses through the crankcase breather system.

The oil pressure is supposed to be increased throughout the system, i.e higher at the main bearings, rod bearings, piston squirters and chain tensioners. Also good for oil pressure readings (10-20% increase) so they say.

My question to you all is, has anyone carried out this modification and if so what are your thoughts. Any technical advice from members and sponsors would be appreciated...!

Cheers
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Mike Jacobsen, Bob Whyms, Phil Hearn where are you?
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

cam

i've had them in the race car for a while now - and from memory they achieved everything wayne's book said they would.

i also have a larger than stock oil pump (its from a 3.2 or a 930) which is another good upgrade if you ever have your engine open.

Comment

Thanks Ryan

They have been ordered, looking forward to seeing a bit more activity on the oil pressure gauge once they are installed. Might also help the old girl to run a degree or two cooler, time will tell.

Cheers
        Cam Arnott
        1970 911E (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

The job was done tonight after work. It took about 20 minutes or so and there has definitely been a noticeble increase in activity on the oil pressure gauge.

Hopefully the engine internals will benefit as well with increased oil flow to important areas.

An easy and worthwhile modification....
          Cam Arnott
          1970 911E (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
          X