• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

Does anyone know what this is?
    Attached Files

it's an engine!!!!
    No seriously, clarify what do you mean by 'what is it'?
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I can always count on you alex...

I'm probably the least technical person on the board... just trying to figure out if this is standard or modified - it should be CIS, has the cover just been removed, or has it been modified?

Comment

nah Nick, sorry I already hold the title as the dopiest tech-head in this neck of the woods. Plus I dont even drive fast. I am one of those odd people who like these cars to look at as much as to drive.

But if I had to guess, it looks like some sort or wierd aircon condenser set-up - are they cooling fins? Usually they are mounted on the underside of the engine lid. Dont know where the compressor is though.

I am also sure I will be howled down very soon.

tonyc

Comment

Cold air intake? Retrofitted gizmo...

OK I'll have a go...looks like a very early K-Jetronic (CIS) set-up with some weirdo cold air intake box thingy that probably seals in a fashion against the engine lid when it's closed. Is it a 2.4 engine Nick? I'm taking a stab from what I can see in the pic...

I'll take a pic and post a standard CIS air cleaner assy soon - car is in the garage now as Mike is home (all the CIS's have the same air cleaner set-up).

Stand-by.... :wink:

Cheers,
          Lisa

Comment

Here's a pic of the standard air cleaner box assy. Same on our 2.7S as all other K-Jets.

Cheers,
            Lisa
            Attached Files

Comment

Nick,

looks like someone has modified the std CIS airbox into something that resembles a turbo intercooler, but which is obviously still the air intake, but maybe to accept a larger air filter for less resistance and also possibly to only draw cool air into the engine directly thru the grille. Presumably there is a mating surface the rubber seals against under the grille. It could make sense to eliminate warm air which is drawn in from around the engine.

Possibly the car has lived in a very hot climate and the owner was an ex rice rocket jockey obsessed with getting cold air into his engine ??

Where did you get the pic from anyway ?
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys... It's a C3 (I know, I know).
                One more question, would it be a difficult (or expensive) job to take it back to standard?
                Cheers,
                Nick
                ps - Tony, I think we'll have to fight out the 'dopiest tech-head' title at the next drive... I'm pretty confident I could take it from you.

Comment

where is this car Nick? If its the one I'm thinking.... we may know some previous owners.

Justin R
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Nick

I think you are under-estimating me....

tony

Comment

Hey Justin - the car is o/s. Not the one that's been for sale for months - can't remember the plate (JK/JF?).

Comment

Working...
                      X