Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

73 911S in Adelaide

For those who might be interested.

Hmmm...non std engine and heaps of work to do and still wants $80,000 hey Tony what does this make yours worth?
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Clyde,

as we all know, asking $x and getting $x can be two very different stories.

that said, Hugh has confirmed via the Early S Register that it is a genuine Aussie delivered car. I would very much like to follow the sale and stay in touch with whoever the new owner might be.

You would have to be either very bullish, brave or stupid though, wouldnt you? If you threw $50K at it, would it be worth the price being asked for the ex David Cottee car presently for sale up here? IMHO, no. That car is near as close to original and matching numbers. That counts for a lot, and it hasnt exactly walked out the door at the current asking price.

Who knows though, in 5 years it could look like a bargain or a bad call.

tonyc[/i]

Comment

It's a pity the original engine is not there.

Comment

I cant see how you can ask that sort of money if its not the original motor. Thats where the bones of the difference between an S and a T or E is.

Bit like buying an empty bottle of Grange - you've got the label, but thats about all. I suppose you could fill it up again with some other red, but its never going to be the original bottle of Grange again, is it.

tonyc

Comment

Actually, there's plenty non original about this car looking at the photos.

Basketweave on the dash, wrong seats, wrong steering wheel, not sure about the Fuchs either (?16's). Not to mention the guards....

Clearly it has been owned by someone who hasn't appreciated the fact that originality is what costs $80k not just the fact that the engine lid has an S badge on it.

Hope someone can put it right...deserves a good home.

Comment

i'm not sure I would want to see it put right Andrew, if it ends up being on-sold to an unsuspecting buyer as something it isn't.

What distinguishes it from say a T in the same state of repair? I imagine very little, other than the buildplate and chassis number stamping. So what once made it a 73S is no longer there, in my opinion. You could rebuild it to S spec, but you could do the same thing from a similar T tub from anywhere. Reminds me of that Irishman who was proud of his 100 year old axe that had only had three new heads and five new handles.

I remember reading not so long ago about guys rebuilding long dead RS's pretty much from a Vinplate, ...and then calling them RS's to sell to an unsuspecting buyer. I have heard that the RSR Ian Hamilton totalled many years ago may still even "exist" for this very reason.

Whilst this particular car isnt quite like that, there must be a point where a car has lost so much of its originality that when it is re-built, it is simply a replica.

My .02

tonyc

Comment

Working...
              X