Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping from the US

Hi there
    with my import certificate expected any day, i'm looking to organise shipping from LA. A couple of specific questions:
    - i will go over and hand the car over. From previous posts, i'm assuming I should organise a single container with just my car in. Is this correct ?
    - i've looked in this month's unique cars for shippers, but there is just one - does anyone have any recommendations and a contact (and price expectations) ?
    thanks in advance

OK
    here goes.

1. Its not a cheap exercise. I've done 20 footers exclusively never tried sharing one to reduce costs

Freight alone will probably be in the order of $3000+ Aussie depending on where its from.

Port charges at both ends depending on how long its stored and a million other charges like steam cleaning etc etc will blow that out to about $6,000 then add GST and customs charges so assuming you paid $20US which will be calculated at the exchange rate of the day when it is processed not when you bought it I would say your looking at another $3000 so about $9000Aussie all up then you might have pre shipping cartaghe in the USA and post shipping cartage in Australia.

If it gets stuck in customs allow another $1000. Insurance add another $750 This is all worst case deal.

Ring Rohde and Liesenfeld not sure of their Sydney number but they have an office their for sure. I have used them all the time.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

my 2.4E cleared quarantine without needing steam cleaning - which i'm told is very rare. it was very clean and i think the fact that it came from NZ helped.

two (filthy) old 1960's dodges from west virginia were being cleaned as we arrived and the quarantine guys were accessing the underside by simply picking them with a big forklift!! there was no way they were coming near my car with a forklift...

Comment

Thanks Clyde, i'll ring Rohde and Liesenfeld and see what they have to say. A company in Sydney were looking at US$2,700 for the US end for a 20 ft with one car in. Plus plus plus .. as you mention !

I'll also watch out for the forklift (getting frightened !!!!)

Comment

I have my 72T coupe in LA awaiting shipment and could be interested to share a 40 footer with you to save some costs. 40 ft containers arent double what a 20 ft costs so there is a saving there.

let me know what Clyde's contact quotes you if you ask for a 40ft price and say 2 cars would be included.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Phil
            I will let you know - hopefully tomorrow. He agrees, the rate should be a fair bit less than 'doubling' the 20ft charge, plus a reduction on the port charges.
            Would you mind the car coming into Sydney rather than Melbourne ? I can assist at this end etc.
            Also, do you have your import certificate, and are you aware of the US export paperwork i need to arrange (!!??)
            cheers, Paul

Comment

My car also coming from NZ didn't require cleaning by customs but I did have the vendor pressure wash it underneath before it was shipped.

Comment

Paul,

I already have my Import approval for the car to be shipped. You also need to show the Title to the car to US Customs or they wont let you export it. I left my titlew documents in Los anglese with a friend. There should just be a simple form to fill in at the shippers premises and they will take photos of the car prior to shipping. Having it look very clean (including inside) will help a lot. pressure washing underneath (incl under the guards) also helps.

I would be asking quetions about how well the car will be secure dinside the container and demanding pics of this before it gets shipped. Wheels need to be chocked well and tied down to avoid ANY movement inside the container.

if the car comes to Sydney thats OK with me, i can get a permit and drive it home. it drives very well. Maybe stay in Sydney a bit for a weekend run with the boys ??

Pls email me privately if you want re the charges etc and a time frame of when you are looking to ship.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                X