Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delivery by Sea ...

the internet is a great thing !

i was asked about the history of my 2.4E recently and whilst i purchased it out of NZ 10 years ago and knew that it was originally delivered to HK i had paid scant regard to the paperwork that came with the car.

so i decided to pull out all the stuff i had and have a good look.

what the certificate of registration in NZ shows that i didnt know is that the car was imported to NZ from Norfolk Island ! on the back of this document is the original NZ owners name, William Walter Hallett, so i said to my self, self, there cant be too many William Walter Hallett's in NZ, and sure enough there was only one !

NZ White Pages and contact details for WWH in Masterton NZ.

what the hell, i'll call, and left the crazy person message- did you own a 911 on Norfolk Island, if yes can you give me a call, if no, please excuse me ...

9pm that night the phone rings- it's Bill (William), yes it was his car, chat, chat, he was digging around in some paperwork and found the original maintenance record books for the car, would i like them !!

today in the mail, true to his word Bill sends me the maintenance record which also details the original owner in HK- and what i think is a classic photo of the car being 'delivered' to Norfolk Island in 1982.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by epilot; 06-03-13, 06:03 PM.
    Craig
    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
    1972 2.4E Targa project
    1973 911 2.4E for the road

Great photo. Would have been the best car on Norfolk.

They still deliver cars to Norfolk that way now. Turn over in cars is reasonably high due to the rust however.

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, same crane and same old boat, not much changes on Norfolk island. Same can be said about the jene pool though.

Comment

What a great photo to have!

Comment

that's fantastic!
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

amazing. I wish I could trace the early origins of my car!

Great story and records to have.

Comment

Early photos

Although not as dramatic as Craig's photo, I have attached a couple of photos of my '71 T during its first year of life. My car was a 'tourist delivery' and the original owner, Barrie Marshall, sent me some photos of he and his wife Laraine (and friends) when they first collected the car from Stuttgart in 1971.

The picture with the tent is in the Lake District (England) and the one in the trees is in Sweden. The two shots with the door open and bonnet up is in the UK somewhere. Note temp. Euro plates.
              (please excuse "Sample" across photo as I downloaded some free software to convert pdf to jpg - I think I need to purchase it to remove watermark)

Cost to purchase as tourist delivery (paid for in Aus, kept overseas for 15 months and then delivered to Aus free of import duty) was just over A$7000 compared with A$14000 as an Aussie import.

Barrie and Laraine (see photos), who live in Carlton came along to our Fed Square display last year and both sat in the car - although he has owned many Porsches (ours was his first) he said that he has little interest in old cars and has just purchased a new Lamborghini.
              Attached Files
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901
              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I love this stuff!! This sort of history is part of what gives these cars soul.

Comment

....just testing attaching a pdf file (that' better - can use zoom function)
                  It is interesting that on the engine lid the "911T" is silver anodised and the letters PORSCHE are gold (easier to see on the original photos) - as they are today. Must have been a Friday build
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MrUpwey; 07-03-13, 07:36 PM.
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                    What a great photo to have!
                    ... let alone the receiving the original maintenance records
                    Craig Sedgman
                    914/6 GT Clone Project
                    996 C2.1

Comment

Love a bit of history!
                      Cam Arnott
                      Looking for engine #6208151
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

that photo is sensational. love it!!!!
                        Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

a little update to this thread.
                          Bill Hallett a PO of the car sent through some more photos of his time with the car. what i had presumed was a photo of the car arriving in NI was in fact it being readied for export- no less scary ...
                          Attached Files
                          Craig
                          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                          1972 2.4E Targa project
                          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Very interesting Craig. The plate - 3429 - I can't see if that is NI or some system similar to its Australian External Territory status (as now). If the former, then they had a few more cars there then! That salt air and wind there would not be kind to cars and it was fortunate that it was exported!

Comment

Wow Craig, those are awesome pictures to have!
                              1973 911T Coupe
                              1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Working...
                              X