X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'71 Coupe on www.duttondirect.com

Hi Guys

Here’s another one…

Does anyone know this car? Haven’t managed to get any more info out of the vendor (Con Psarakis) other than that he has owned it for about the last 13 years, so don’t know its engine/chassis numbers… presume that it isn’t matching (although the vendor says all that has been done in his time of ownership is an engine rebuild)…

There are a few details which don’t seem to make sense to me:
    - The indicator trim should be chrome for ’71?
    - RS bumper?
    - Front looks lowered?
    - Duck tail
    - Huge speakers on the rear parcel shelf
    - Engine shroud is red, which would imply an “S” engine (but carb’d?). Should be yellow for a T (I think it the badge on the glove box is “911T”)?

Regardless, I am going to have a look over it tomorrow afternoon (sat. 19th.). Work has been a killer, so feel like a bit of “me” (read “Porsche”) time.

Anyway, will let you know what I find out… unless someone can give me the heads up first?!?

Cheers

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Doesn't look too bad Richard look forward to the update
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

That one's been for sale for a while... It looks like one that went to auction a few years ago through Shannons Sydney - though there are two that look similar (Alex had the other one for a while).
      Let us know what it's like.
      Cheers,
      Nick

Comment

Rich,

yeah I think I have seen that one around a while ago. Doesnt say if its a T but it probably is.

red shroud, black turn signal lens trim and other "wrong" things are par for the course for a 35 yr old car. Lots of things will have been changed over the years. Black trimmed lenses are also far cheaper than the correct silver ones, so many owners opt fr the cheaper, more easily obtained ones.

But for $35K, its Australian delivered (supposedly) so what more can you expect ?

I think there needs to be a reality check by everyone still looking for that perfect, Aussie delivered, matching numbers car for under $40K. I seriously doubt there are any left out there that can be bought cheap. Too many examples of early cars bringing big dollars have alerted all the sellers out there.

You need to consider Ryan's recent experience where he had to move very quickly to secure that NZ car. if you see something that looks the part and is affordable, move fast, cause there are plenty of guys like Ryan out there ready to pounce when a good car surfaces.

And if this car has been around for a while, then there's probably a reason.

Hopefully the reposnses on this board help you come to some conclusions on this car. But we are all interested to see what you find after tomorrow.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Rich
          Looks likle a standard '71 2.2T motor with the cheaper (Than Webers) Zenith 40 TIN carbs. Of course the shroud should be black.
          As Phil said, this car has been advertised for some time - have seen the photos but can't remember where?? - so be wary, especially as the changes are to make it look like something its not.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thanks Guys

I have to say that I am not expecting it to be matching numbers or anything special... doesn't make sense for the money... but if it is then I can and will move quickly!

I does look like a sheep in wolf's clothing...

Or alternatively, it might have something else to reduce its value... like "viewing holes" in the floor so you can watch the road go by (don't laugh but my dad's ute that I learnt to drive in had them!).

I'll take the camera anyway...

Cheers

Rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

"I does look like a sheep in wolf's clothing..."

RS bumpers and ducktails etc. are pretty easy to sell

Comment

how about the blue Albert Blue T for sale up here....? Or Ryan's project car... mmmm I always liked ST's

I thought Lisa's description of the car was accurate. It's a tidy little car... and doesn't deserve the reputation it seems to have acquired...

I must say I haven't seen or heard about its PPI (Lisa alluded to it).. but at the money it seems fair.

And yes the youngest of these cars is 33 years old... so if a diamond is uncovered ... then you'll pay for it.

I remember seeing small bumper cars being converted to 3.3 Turbo replicas at the rate of one or two a month in the late 70's / early 80's
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Hi all (hope everyone is enjoying their dinner... for some reason I have ended up at home watching the football! :-()

Fell into a beginners trap and really left it a bit late in the day... lost light about half way through looking at the car... so no overall photos...

Anyway, here is an update on the car:
                  - Waiting on Hugh to check his list for the numbers... but looks to my v.untrained eye (i.e. decoding the engine number) like it was a Sporto converted to a 901 box... there is also a hint on a hand written invoice "Convert from sporto" that I took a photo of...
                  - Reg Mort did the work on the engine (4K miles since it was done) - same case, o'haul and added 2.8 barrells and pistons, and "S" cams - pulled rather nicely!
                  - Rough around the edges (probably a 10-15ft car) with a little bit of rust under the windscreen in the usual place. Couldn't really get under the car as it has been lowered by PO (a ppi would have to pick any rust there up...).
                  - engine went really nicely and gearbox was good (not a single crunch ).
                  - as noted, a few other things weren't original, but pretty much as the owner got it about 12 years ago... nothing to drastic to fix... just lots of little things (which of course are going to add up!).

I would say its pricing is fair given all the above...

I was tempted, 'til I noted the Sporto convert... my gut says that it's always going to haunt the car... or should I just accept that for the money it is an Aussie delivery with some issues I can fix over the coming years (decades?) except for the sporto...?

...just buy it and drive it?!? :evil:

Thoughts please?!?

Rich
                  Attached Files
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

OK, as an after thought (seems like I never really stop thinking about porsches...), is a sporto converted to manual a positive thing compared to having the original sporto?!?

Having done some research on Pelican and the early S forums, it seems more common than not to have ripped out the sporto and put in a manual... I only hesitate for the originality factor (but then it already has a "tweaked" engine)...

I think I might need to take some of Phil's advice and accept that there is never going to be the perfect car in my price bracket... and aside from the rust I think I can handle everything else that needs doing over the next few decades!

Thanks

Rich
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hi Richard
                      Don't do it, unless you can accept that the car is what it is and always will be, an ex sporto and your hesitation suggests to me that there is some nagging doubt for you.
                      Personally I looked for 2 years and like Ryan was lucky to purchase out of NZ, but those opportunites are few and far between.
                      With a budget of $35,000 i would be seriously thinking about a solid LHD car ex USA. Looking at what is for sale on ebay etc you could actually do very nicely for a lot less than $35k. California Connection in Qld will land a car in Brisvegas all up for $2950AUD, thats US documentation, DOTARS approval, landed cleaned and inspected. LHD is not an issue to drive on our roads and it is actually a nicer position to sit in in the car. From the forum there is a number of people who can help with import info and long term I think it wil be a better buy and investment.
                      Probably just confused the situation...sorry
                      Craig Duthie
                      Craig
                      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                      1972 2.4E Targa project
                      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Richard
                        It's your money and your decision. However, my philosphy in buying a car has always been that I am convinced that it's the right car the minute I see it. If there are doubts, like you seem to have, just walk away. There will always be other (better) opportunities, just be patient.
                        .............and so endeth the lesson (it is Sunday!)
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901

Comment

Richard,

what you are going thru is just part of the process. You have to look at a lot of different cars to then really appreciate the good one you eventually find. But if your budget is the ultimate constraint, then some lowering of your expectations is required.

Seems you are wanting the matching numbers, Aussie delivery spec. , all original etc. Is this because you look to the car as an investment or do you want to drive it ?

if you find a car, then have fun driving it and working on it, no doubt you will gradually get it back into nice shape and then it will become a car others would be interested in if you ever want to sell it. They dont drive any different if the numbers dont match.

I think I have said it before, but you really need to know what you want to DO with the car when you make the buying decision. If, as I suspect, you want to drive it, then find a good driver with good mechanicals and worry about the rest as you enjoy the car.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

my 2c.

i think any pre74 under AU$40-45k will now be, at best, a little modded or, at worst, a project car.

for something otherwise modified, i wouldn't worry about the sporto conversion. you could also just buy a cheap sporto box and offer it with the car if you decided to sell.

i think you could have some fun with a car like this. you could refit the original bumper/spoiler and sell the RS versions to recoup some cost (or add rear flares to finish off the look)

however, i would have someone Very Cluey check out the cooling system as 2.8's do not like running hot. a strong 2.8 will also stress 1st gear in a 901 if driven harshly. i would also check if the 2.8 barrels and pistons - which are very very expensive - are new or used. i would also ask what compression ratio the engine is as most 2.8 pistons seem to be RSR-ish spec (ie. 10.5:1 or so compression) which is right up there with pump gas if the ignition is stock.

if it all checks out you could make a cool little sleeper.

Comment

PS: I also agree with the advice Phil has just given - I'm easily swayed - just ask Julie
                              Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Working...
                              X