Competition / Track Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition / Track Tyres

Looking at the current tyres on the car I think some replacements might be due pretty shortly.

Can I have some feedback on what others are using for track work/ tarmac rallying / light road use. I'm currently running 6 x 15 inch Fuchs all round.

Ryan, Alex & others...?
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

i've used dunlop D01J, yoko advans and michelin 540S in the past.

currently using dunlop D01J's in full soft and really like them. i also heard good things about the D02ZG (but they don't make them in my size).

i use 215 on 7" front rims and 225 on 8" rear rims.

for 6" rims you might want to try 195 or 205 - the tire guys (or alex) will know what's best.

here's a good link to check out the dunlops - scroll down to street legal race tyres

Comment

"i've used dunlop D01J, yoko advans and michelin 540S in the past"

Cameron,

We have used the same, and currently have the D01J's on the front and O2G's on the rear. Soft on the front and medium on the rear.

Seems to work really well and give good turn in.

They are on 7 inch rims.

On the 6 inch rims you can get the D01J's, as Marcus has ordered a set. You can get them in 206's and they will fit the rim nicely.

The 540S's are no longer in production, but they do have a newer one out, not sure of the name. From reports they are pretty good, but the Dunlops are the go.

I have to run Advans for historics, so have to get a set of those which his a pity, as the Dunlops will be a far better tyre all road I fear.

That is from our experience anyways.

Anyone else got some ideas?
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

alex

will you have to run the advans in 60 series for historics? if so, they are pretty awful - you can feel them kind of fall off the rim and take a set when cornering...

Comment

yes mate, I do have to run the 60's. I think I will run them at about 50 psi to get rid of the roll!!!!
          Alex Webster

Comment

I'm running D02Z's (soft) on the front and D01J's (medium compound) on the rears (15 x 6&7's) - a setup which was recommended by the guys @ Stuckey's. Haven't had it out on the track yet though I've been extremely happy with the settup with some of the 'spirited runs' I've been on.

You'll get some great advice from Ryan (who pointed me in the right direction) et al, so consider what they have to say.

Cheers,

Paul
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Looks like the current 032R Advans will be chucked in favour of the Dunlops. Not much wear left but maybe one or two more trackdays left in them.

I'm thinking that with the higher track temps up here the softer compounds might take a hammering... Any thoughts?

Off to Hidden Valley on Sunday for some fun and will try to get some photos to post.
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I'm confused about tyres!

My road tyres are
                Fronts 205/60 15 on 6" wheel
                Rears 215/60 15 on 7" wheel

I thought a direct replacement with competition tyres would be logical
                It seems they don’t make these fitments but they do make 50 series in these fitments, make sense I guess given what the tyres are designed for.

Should I just fit the same sizes in 50 series?
                Fronts 205/50 15 Dunlop D02Z (or is this actually DZ02G)
                Rears 215/50 15 Dunlop D01J

My overall rolling size will then be smaller??
                I'm already sitting on 3000RPM at 100km/h

Are 16" wheels a better option?

Darren

Comment

Darren,
                  you can go to a 16 inch wheel, but from a historic or rally standpoint they will not let you run the 16 inch, or a 50 profile from a 'standard' point of view. You can run them limited mod, or modified.

Personally, the 50 profile will give you a lot better feel, as the tyre will tend to roll less, and feel better. The 60 profile which is what I have to run in historics are a pain, but dem da rules.

The slight change in profile will give you slightly better acceleration - I think!

Ryan will give you plenty to think about as he has done heaps with combo's.

You should be able to get 55 profile as well, so see what you can get. Either way, the lower the profile the better the car will handle, but the aspect changes as well. 50 or 55 will be just fine.
                  Alex Webster

Comment

darren

what alex said: try the 50 or 55 series, less roll, improved acc'n, less rev drop between gears, the planets will align and the birds will sing. make sure that you fit the same tire type F + R. a slight increase in touring revs is a small price to pay - and anything under 4000rpm @100k's is doable imo.

also, if you have RS/SC rear flares (can't remember) then grab some 8's and 225's for the back and put your 7's in front.

Comment

Darren, I have the same rims as you running 50 profile rubber as noted above. Great feel and sensational grip.
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Ryan

Wayne was running 8” wheels on the rear but wouldn’t part with them. They are evidently very hard to come by in a 15” wheel?

Paul
                        Came you confirm this is what you are running?
                        Fronts 205/50 15 Dunlop D02Z or are they DZ02G?
                        Rears 215/50 15 Dunlop D01J

Thanks guys

Darren

Comment

DZ02G’s

http://www.stuckey.com.au/tyres.aspx?BN1=Dunlop%20Motorsport&BN2=Dunlop&Cate gory=Racing

Sorry for the confusion. Soft fronts and Medium rears, from memory.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke

Comment

I just sold two to Jason Carroll at Chequered Flag! I don't have anymore, but I know that Nick Taylor has cornered the market and has about 10 sets! C'mon Nick, give some up for a fellow TYP901'er!!
                            Alex Webster

Comment

darren

you do see 8's for sale from time to time. another option is to buy the minilight replica's (i think marcus has just bought some). a little heavier than a fuch but much cheaper. (under 200 a rim from memory)

also, minilight rear and fuch front is true period porsche racing style...

Comment

Working...
                              X