Ultimate carpet thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate carpet thread!!!

I had a new carpet kit installed in my LHD 73 car, bought the kit from a much respected USA trimmer.

Fit was pretty good but not absolutely perfect, as I had hoped, but all in all its turned out pretty good in the end. Nice right angle footwell pockets at least.

In the process I found some original carpet not exposed to sunlight so took some close ups of the old and new for comparasin.

Original definately has more of a grey tint to it but from a distance look is very similar. Pile length is very similar original is a desner weave though no wonder it lasts so well.

Bottom left pic is the original, bottom right the new.

As you brush/vac the new the white fibres seem to want to come out you get the sense that would never happen with the original
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Terminator; 22-12-13, 06:08 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Who was the supplier please Clyde?

Comment

Clyde, did you consider the Lakewell kit?

Comment

Tony @ Autobahn?

Comment

Yes Tony at Autobahn he says he has RHD patterns too.

$1570 landed at my door with the heavy duty backing as per original (well sort of) cheaper without.

He doesn't stitch the cardboard into the footwell pockets just glued so had that done by the carpet fitter for more authentic look. I changed the flap of material on the same pockets that glues to the door frame to correct 72 vinyl from some destroyed door cards.

I also had to add some backing to the tunnel piece as per original which sort of looks like the backing under older domestic carpets.

Those minor changes made the job look better to me anyway!!!

Didn't consider Lakewell, preferred to trust Tony
          Last edited by Terminator; 22-12-13, 06:11 PM.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
            Clyde, did you consider the Lakewell kit?
            I used the Lakewell carpet kit on my former '67, was great quality.
            Craig Sedgman
            914/6 GT Clone Project
            996 C2.1

Comment

Originally posted by CS911E View Post
              I used the Lakewell carpet kit on my former '67, was great quality.
              Craig , was that RHD?

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                Craig , was that RHD?
                Yep. Make sure you spell it out though- had a couple of 'mis-trys' with the incorrect RHD footwell position, but they were more than accommodating to rectify
                Craig Sedgman
                914/6 GT Clone Project
                996 C2.1

Comment

Clyde. looks strange with the driver's rubber/vinyl heelpad extending to the end of mat rather than a rectangular pad from the base of the accelerator back to line up with the pad over the tunnel (is this something specific to LHD cars?). From all photos I've seen, it's carpet from base of accelerator to clutch/brake pedals .
                  Also I'm not a fan of the original rubber backing as it tends to let carpet curl at corners over time (very common) and also allows moisture to be trapped between backing and floor (=rust)...........and as you are all well aware, I am an expert on carpets
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I just had a look on the Lakewell site and their carpets are only showing as LWB.
                    Correction, just looked a little harder!
                    Last edited by 9er; 29-12-13, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrUpwey View Post
                      Clyde. looks strange with the driver's rubber/vinyl heelpad extending to the end of mat rather than a rectangular pad from the base of the accelerator back to line up with the pad over the tunnel (is this something specific to LHD cars?). From all photos I've seen, it's carpet from base of accelerator to clutch/brake pedals .
                      Also I'm not a fan of the original rubber backing as it tends to let carpet curl at corners over time (very common) and also allows moisture to be trapped between backing and floor (=rust)...........and as you are all well aware, I am an expert on carpets
                      Yep correct for LHD the corretc heavy duty backing isn't rubber more of a hair based substance with a coating of some sort and its very heavy duty so haven't seen too much of the curling you alude to Peter.
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Keen to add more information to this carpet thread.
                        I have just received some door panels and other interior pieces from Lakewell.
                        Based on this, and the other good reviews of their work I am going to order my carpet from them.
                        I believe square weave is correct for my 1965 car, however I start getting confused with the Haargard nomenclature (boucle and velour)??
                        I think it is the boucle that is correct, can anyone confirm this for me.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Have you asked Wouter at Lakewell?

I'm waiting on some carpet samples from them and about to order a carpet kit also - by all reports the quality is very good and very close to original.

I have an original sample of the red velour for 1968 - I'll put it alongside the Lakewell sample when I get it and post a pic.

Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben.
                            I think I have it worked out now but as you say it is definitely worth emailing before I order.
                            This is the look I want.(disregard the red)
                            Attached Files

Comment

that is not deluxe velour
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X