Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car questions...

Hi All

Thought I would start a new thread for this one... here are my questions so far:
    - Rego Plates: what size plates should I get for front and back (keeping in mind that the RS bumper may not be staying on the car).
    - Starter motor: the starter motor seems to spin but not engage. Adding jumper leads didn't make a difference. This could mean solenoid actuation could be faulty? Just guessing... any thoughts?
    - Fuel: what fuel do I run it on? tank filler pipe has been mod'd to only accept unleaded... but do I need an additive? Premium unleaded? Safest option?
    - If the RS bumper goes, should the original T bumper still fit with the oil cooler?

That's it for now... but I am sure there will be many more!

Thanks

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Rich,
    Rego plates - go slimline black and white. You can go one of each if the hole on the rear are of a larger plate, they do offer combo's.
    Starter - sounds like the starter is not throwing - out of my league though.
    Fuel - run premium with 'Spyder Venom' or alike.
    Bumper - depending on where the cooler is located, then I would think that the cooler would not fit behind the normal bumper.
    Best alternative is to keep the RS front and get rid of the duck tail, and make a nice sleeper!!!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Richard,

I go slimline on the front and STD on the rear. I reckon the rear needs a bigger plate to fill out the panel....might be a wank but thats how I see it.

On STD front bumper a STD size plate doesn't follow the curves well that why I use slimline. T

There were correct brackets that had the plate sit at right angles to the ground. I have some if you want to part with some more loot.

If you keep the RS front slimline works well there also.

Starter out of my league Mike where are you

I am tipping with a 2.8 motor your compression will be higher than STD so go premium with an additive.

Can't keep oil cooler with STD bumper if its not the seprentine one in the guard. Keep the RS front I like it.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Sounds like my Carrera 3.0 litre with the starter... it would stall after a spirited drive to Bowral at the foot of my in laws driveway. No amount of jump starting would move it. It was towed up the drive a few times by an old benz!

Turns out the starter was shagged... and the heat of the engine from the drive, prompted it to quit. It would start first go the next morning!

Get it to a good auto electrician recommended by a trusted repairer and you should be right
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

i replaced my starter with a lightweight high torque unit with a gear reduction. my car has 10.5:1 compression and the stock unit wouldn't turn it over when hot. let me know if you want the details.

as to the oil cooler: where is it now - fender or centre? a fender mount will be fine with a T bumper. a centre mount is difficult but not impossible with a T bumper.

as for fuel - PULP (except no names or shell).

Comment

Clyde, you rang? I'm at home!

Rich you have my number feel free to use it!

Comment

'Full size' plates back and front.
              In my opinion the slim line plates look crappy.
              Attached Files
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901
              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Rich
                Did you check the age of your tyres, given your near mishap on Sunday?
                What brand are they?
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901

Comment

I have slimlines both front and rear.

Comment

Thanks Guys... lots to think about (particularly how I get the damn car up the driveway when I can't start it! :? ).

Tried starting it last night (fingers crossed - which is hard when you have a glass of red in your hand :lol: )... no joy. I think it will be a dodgy solenoid not pushing the pinion out to engage...

Ryan, details on the starter motor would be great as I might have to make a choice between reconditioning or replacing... anyone know whether you can access the starter motor (i.e. replace it) without dropping the engine out?

The tyres... haven't actually checked the brand, but the have enough tread on them - suspect that they are rather old and hard, hence the fishtailing on a cold road... that and the car having a little more power than expected! :shock:

Hypothetically, if I was to ditch the rear ducktail, how much is it worth and how much would a standard '70T engine lid cost (including painting it red)?

Thanks again...

Rich
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Maybe paint it Irish green - save doing it later!!
                      Peter Williams #049
                      Secretary TYP901

Comment

..............that would be really an "Irish" joke
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901

Comment

Ha!

Reminds me of a joke...

"What's red and green and goes round and round?"

There would be 2 choices:
                          - a frog in a blender; or
                          - rich trying to drive a rear engined porsche!!

:lol:

Would also fit in Christmas!!

(At least I amuse myself!)

Cheers

Rich
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Sorry, back to serious questions.

As I mentioned somewhere, the internal mirror fell off... it looks like it has been glued in previously (which I may resort to again in the short term). However, the bigger issue is that the ball joint is pretty well stuck. Any ideas on how to free it up enough to meet RWC requirements "capable of appropriate adjustment"?

Thanks

Rich
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

> Ryan, details on the starter motor would be great as I might have to make a choice between reconditioning or replacing...

here you go - castle auto elecs & exhaust services 03 5472 1442 ask for the porsche/vw model. they are excellent

> anyone know whether you can access the starter motor (i.e. replace it) without dropping the engine out?

yep, you can

ps: ducktails are not worth much - maybe a couple of hundred - stock lids a little more

Comment

Working...
                              X