The inner Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inner Mechanic

It has been an interesting day... which I am now reflecting on (with my second G&T).

This morning my father and I were doing a little research on where to start with the starter motor in the '70T. Then Phil (L) called and said that he was at Auto Coupe and had a spare starter... come on over and use the hoist there - will be done in a jiffy. Within a minute or so of thought it seemed like a good idea. We towed the car out of the driveway and got it started (towed - couldn't be a^&*d pushing it ). Managed to get lost on the way to Auto Coupe. Oh well, I was enjoying the (legitimate) drive!
    We arrived at Auto Coupe and drove straight onto the hoist... from there it was all grease and spanners... turned out that the bolt in the actuating lever in the starter had dropped out (some smart cookie stuck it in with the nut on top! so when the nut vibrated loose... bye bye bolt! :x ). There was never a hope in hell, with the wacky location of the starter, of getting the job done in the driveway... pulled out the original starter, which will now make its way to an auto electrician for the once over, and replaced it with Phil's... Once back on the ground the car started first go.

It was only a pity that I had to disappear so quick - didn't have much time to let people give the car a going over or drive... and didn't get to check out Clyde's 69S... ah well, next time!

So a HUGE thank you must go out to Phil for making his facilities and tools available, and Phil for lending me a temporary starter motor. There was lots of advice on hand which was also most welcome. I think I'll have to make sure I keep a slab of beer in the boot so that I don't wear out my welcome next time!

I now feel so indebted to so many people... I never imagined that a group of enthusiasts for a prestige make could be so generous with advice, time and even parts! All for the bargain basement price of $70... Claire may at this point be rethinking the wisdom of becoming a member... I think she may actually forgive me (eventually - might take a few days though)...

Oh, and I ran out of fuel on the way home! This baby must love sucking down the good stuff!!

Thanks again

Rich
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Chin up Claire it will get much worse before it gets better. Ask Lynne and my 3 wives before her!!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I have to second the thank you to the various club members that have provided me with private advice and also the contributors to this message board.

What a great resource our club members can use.

You guys rock! Thank you
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Hi Rich,

yes it was a very busy day down at Phil H's workshop with Brett replacing all his rear suspension bushes (and he got it all done in time too !). me prepping all the front suspension for the R project and various other hangers on drinking lots of Phil's coffee.

I think today was a great example of club cameraderie with Clyde arriving in his 69S to join in the fun, Phil H. offering great advice to Rich on the starter motor removal/refit as well as providing the special tools needed to get into such a tight space. I insisted that Rich do the spannering as its his car and he has to learn about it and I am sure he learned heaps today whilst under the watchful eyes of a few members and expert mechanic (an forum sponsor), Phil H.

It was a great delight to see Rich's face light up as the starter fired up first time. Pity he had to scoot off so quickly. He missed a ride in a 930 which I took for a run later in the day as well as seeing Brett's suspension rebuild in more detail (good homework for later on if his car needs it).

And Rich, you will need to drop by Auto Coupe again and make that fridge contribution as there is an unwritten rule at Phil's workshop for Saturday hoist and tool borrowing that it costs a slab of some good German beer for the priviledge.

Loan of my starter motor whilst yours is being fixed is at no charge, provided I get the starter back in working condition.

Now we have to work out how to get you on next weekends run in some sort of legitimate fashion.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Way to go Richard, boy that motor sounded sweet as when it was idling and the look on your face when it lit up after removal from the hosit was priceless and whats more you did it yourself, well, mostly anyway.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

One thing I can definitely say that this hobby is going to teach me... PATIENCE!

Anyway, you would never guess what I found in the gutter outside my house this morning...

...the bolt from the starter motor!!!!

Cheers

Rich

P.S. I must stop going to bunnings... just spent another $200 (but it was a socket set for the porsche so that's ok! :wink: ).
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
            X