Oh NO Not The Gear Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh NO Not The Gear Box

I've noticed that the old 901 box has developed a bit of a whine of late which is not a good thing. I jacked it up today and drained the oil and there was a reasonable amount of filings / material stuck to the magnetic drain plug. It seems to do it (whine) through the gears not just in one particular gear.

Anyone had a box rebuilt lately and if so what was done and how much? (I think I'll be in for a bit more than the syncros)

Also what type and grade of oil are you using? I dint have a LSD. (but wouldn't object to one if I found it on my doorstep one morning) :shock:

Cheers
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Does it whine in neutral (whilst coasting) Cameron? Does in whine when the clutch is depressed?

Cheers,
    Lisa

Comment

Not sure Lisa, I'll give it try tomorrow and post again.....

Oh, no whine with the clutch depressed.

Cheers
      Cam Arnott
      1970 911E (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

OK, just for fun, try in coasting in neutral....with the windows up and radio off :wink: !

Lisa

Comment

Sounds like it could be diff whine.

I recently rebuilt a 901 g'box and had to replace the crown wheel and pinion due to excessive wear (and whine). We managed to find a 914 g'box and get the crown wheel and Pinion for that which worked out great as the wear surfaces on a 914 are opposite to a 911 (where the gearbox is in the front of the engine) , so I got a virtually "new" CW & P setup for a fraction of new price.

We also did synchros, sliders and bearings. ther is not much change from around $5000 for such work but the gearbox is now excellent.

Hope yours isnt too serious. Who would you get to do the work ?? maybe someone in Adeliade ??
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Lisa

Will do but radio, what radio? I don't even have carpet!!!

And its around 29C here during the day so the windows won't stay up for too long!

Phil, Buiks in Adelaide have done most of the work on the car so far so I'd likely go with them. That said, at the end of the day I'd have to send the 'box south somewhere so it could go anywhere.
            Cam Arnott
            1970 911E (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Righto, I've taken the old girl for a bit of a fang this afternoon.

No noise coasting in neutral Lisa. The wine seems to be there in the upper gears, i.e 3, 4, 5. Without any engine soundproofing, carpet etc its a bit hard to hear much over the engine but there is certainly a bit of a whine there......OK maybe its not as bad as I thought yesterday, I think the amount of stuff stuck to the magnetic drain plug gave me a scare :shock:

Don't want to seem like a Porsche hypochondriac or anything ops: Just a little overprotective maybe??!!

I put a hypoid 85/90 grade oil into it, is it better to go for something a little thicker like a straight 90? I tried to get my hands on some of that Swepco Oil that is from the US that everyone raves about but the distributor here only does bulk lots i.e minimum order $2000 so no go there....
              Cam Arnott
              1970 911E (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Cameron it is not unusual to find filings on your drain plug, it is quite normal. If you had lumps/ broken bits etc, then I would be more concerned. As you probably know without carpets there is a lot of extra noise transfer throughout the car, also as these boxes age they can get a little noisy, also without too much of a problem. I Know of a few cars that have had gearbox noise for quite some time with out any greater problem developing. At the moment monitor it closely and see how it goes, with any sign of change then get it looked at.

We use Shell 75/90 can't remember its full name (hey its late), have used this for many years with good success and it is available from every Shell service station, or where ever Shell products are sold.

Comment

Working...
                X