Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handbrake light

Hi all,

Most of you probably know this, but for a classic Porsche newbie like me, it is new.

My handbrake lever had a little play and when in the down position, whilst driving, it would vibrate and cause the light on the instrument gauge to flash spasmodically.

After removing the rubber boot on the handbrake/hand throttle/heater levers to see if I could adjust something, I had no luck.

I looked on this forum, but nothing, so after reading tons of stuff on a Pelican and Early911 about master cylinders, etc, I found a post about adjusting a flathead screw, which in turn adjusts a sensor underneath the handbrake lever plate.

The one flathead screw is under the removable rubber boot, almost to rear of the actual lever assembly on the drivers side (for RHD, passenger for LHD). I needed a very short screwdriver to fit between the brake and seat. Half a turn anti clockwise (in my case) fixed this annoying occurrence. Everything now works as normal.

Congrats Sal.

May I sugest you might look at getting a set of the workshop manuals. You just need the first two folders upto 71. They pop up every now and then on EBay.

Or a copy of the Haynes manual.

You could have saved yourself a little research time.

Comment

I am sure you have seen this one Sal.

Mine is actually missing. One of those things to do in the future.

I spent my day fitting a new master cylinder. Then all the pumping and bleeding, adjusting the piston throw ... more bleeding ...

All doable, but the hardest part is fitting the plastic tubes from the brake fluid reservoir through their grommets and then tightly into the master cylinder, with no space available. I finished up pulling out the 46 year, hardened old tubes in there and replacing them by fitting the new tube into the master cylinder first. All good now! I would be interested to know if anyone else has done this nasty little job?

Comment

Thank you Tony. I didn't know they existed, but I'll definitely keep an eye out. It'll certainly help and improve my confidence levels with jobs on the Porsche - A very different and scary proposition compared to the Mustang!

Merv, thank you. I hadn't seen that exact link, but saw similar. I don't think I have the courage to take on anything of the magnitude you speak of on the Porsche yet. What always stymies me are the fiddly bits. Again everything on the Stang is easy as I can stick my hands and head almost anywhere with little fear of an expensive mistake.

An example is: I was thinking of changing the Porsche to a sports muffler (did the Stang exhaust myself, easy). But read that doing this could significantly and detrimentally affect performance and damage valves, etc if the MFI is not tuned. I'd never have known.

I will get the workshop and Haynes manuals as well as consume as much knowledge here and hopefully start tackling more complex things.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Sal I would be surprised if there was not a Monty muffler for your E in Melbourne, where they are made . They are just great.

Comment

Thanks Merv,

I hear that Monty has a muffler specifically for MFI cars. I will immediately go and find one .

Comment

Monty's have made world class mufflers for 911 for many years and sell at premium prices in the US, and they are based in Melbourne.

Comment

Sal,

This one will give you a lot of the basic service info.

If you get stuck for part numbers give me a shout as I have a copy of the parts manuals for 69-71 in addition to the work shop manuals, as other members do.
                Last edited by Classic; 19-04-14, 10:05 PM.

Comment

A set of the shop manuals.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Tony!

Comment

It makes working/restoring these cars even more pleasurable.

Comment

Working...
                      X