Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which wheels?

Hi All,

I am going to get some RS flares added to the car (I guess I am completing Clyde's hot rod vision) and I am looking for advice from those with more experience as to which wheels I should run on the car to fill the flares properly?

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hello Everyone, How ever much it hurts me but I am selling my brand newly refinished set of 4 15x8 FUCHS. I had these rims redone immaculately in the Porsche RSR style done by the world famous Al Reed of Anaheim, CA. The rims come with a brand new, never touched the road set of Toyo Proxes RA1 225/45ZR15 tires. There is no need in showing each of the rims since they are all identical and flawless. Price is $3500.00. Call or text me at 949-887-1274 if you are interested. These will need to

These are nice!!

For the back maybe?

Comment

Hi Jim,

Yep, saw those but I don't think 8s will fit in the front will they?

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Harry, Porsche themselves just used 6 and 7 inch Fuchs on the first RS cars. They later moved the 7s to the front and added 8 inch Fuchs to the rear.

Beware the limited tyre choices in 15" Fuchs... Don't go too big!
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          Harry, Porsche themselves just used 6 and 7 inch Fuchs on the first RS cars. They later moved the 7s to the front and added 8 inch Fuchs to the rear.

Beware the limited tyre choices in 15" Fuchs... Don't go too big!
          Thanks John!

What's the general consensus re 6s & 7s or 7s & 8s?

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Most people with RS/SC flares on the rear will move to 8" rears and use the 7" on the front as the lip profile of both matches closely. The 6" lip profile looks slightly different. Like I say, I understand Porsche used the 6x7 combo until the 8" fuchs became available. A lot of RS owners then 'updated' their cars to the new combo.

Tyre wise, original tyres were 185/70 and 215/60; if you're looking for period looking tyres there are many threads on the subject on ESR. Most manufacturers are not producing a sport tyre in these sizes anymore - at least not sold here. You'll need to look at lower profile offerings in 205/55 and 225/50 - but once again the choices are getting slim.

I took the hideously expensive, but beautiful period correct Michelin TB route... Not much change out of 2k!
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Harry

Harry,
              Hi, I'm in the process of taking Carrera Rear steel guards from the back of a 69T, and have a set of 7 and 8 Japanese copy Fuchs with a set of Bridgestones with at least 70% tread on them. I'd be happy to sell. The rims and tyres were from phil lack.
              Cheers
              Julian

Comment

I had a set of the frosted RSR finish, 15x7/8 fully refurbished, from Vintage Excellance in the States. The set cost $2500 and a hundred per wheel in the post. They are bloody beautiful. And Vintage Excellance are a pleasure to deal with.
                Kane Kennedy
                Typ 901 Register #204
                71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

And whilst you are on Vintage Excellance web page check out the 67 S Sand Beige for a lazy 250 large, US dollars.
                  Kane Kennedy
                  Typ 901 Register #204
                  71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Looks like Vintage Excellance don't have any 15 x7/8 for sale at moment. Could be worth a enquiry to see if they have any in the pipe line for refurb.
                    Keep an eye out on EBay too, but search the world. Also check PCV web site under parts for sale, they are rare, but you never know.
                    Kane Kennedy
                    Typ 901 Register #204
                    71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
                      Harry,
                      Hi, I'm in the process of taking Carrera Rear steel guards from the back of a 69T, and have a set of 7 and 8 Japanese copy Fuchs with a set of Bridgestones with at least 70% tread on them. I'd be happy to sell. The rims and tyres were from phil lack.
                      Cheers
                      Julian
                      Hi Julian,

Thanks very much but I would like to try and find a genuine set first.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane k View Post
                        I had a set of the frosted RSR finish, 15x7/8 fully refurbished, from Vintage Excellance in the States. The set cost $2500 and a hundred per wheel in the post. They are bloody beautiful. And Vintage Excellance are a pleasure to deal with.
                        Hi Kane,

Thanks very much, I will reach out to Vintage Excellence and see how we go.

Do you have any pics of your wheels that you can share?

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Here they are Harry
                          Attached Files
                          Kane Kennedy
                          Typ 901 Register #204
                          71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Harry

When I was looking for a set of deep 6s I posted a WTD add on ESR and then had the wheels shipped direct to Harvey Weidman for restoration. Bought wheels off a few different guys (including a celebrity Porsche nut who was great to deal with) and as they weren't a set they worked out a bit cheaper. The US based sellers were happy to arrange shipping within the US and Harvey didn't mind waiting until I gathered a full set. Harvey would also be worth asking about sizes and may even have something in stock.

weidmanwheel@sbcglobal.net

Harvey is slow but widely regarded as the best. He crack tests all wheels first then checks they are straight and if needed can true them up. Finally he makes them look fantastic and ships in boxes that look like they are made for the job. Full restoration was around US$300ea a few years ago and about $100 ea to get them here. Harvey builds the wheels for Singer if you need further convincing of his abilities!

Avon does the Cz66 in 185/70 & 215/60 which I understand was the original RS sizes. They look great and have great reviews from the guys who have tried them.

cheers
                            Jeff
                            Jeff Eelkema
                            TYP 901 #132
                            S-Reg #1431
                            69E (project)
                            various bevel Ducatis
                            60s Vespa

Comment

harry

No worries Harry - if you change your mind $1,200 for the 4.
                              Cheers
                              Julian

Comment

Working...
                              X